Kaseya Community

Versioning KSDU custom installers

This question is answered

I currently have a KSD MSI custom installer called Viscosity that I deploy with my KSDU profiles. It currently deploys version 1.5.3.1300. Now version 1.5.4.1324 is out, and I need to create a custom installer for version 1.5.4.1324 that I can approve for deployment against my testing KSDU profile, but keep 1.5.3.1300 in my production profile.

When I create the new Viscosity installer in the KSDU catalog, I get the error "This application name is already in use. Custom installers are not allowed to use an existing application name." If I create the installer with a unique name, say Viscosity2, KSDU sees this as a new software item and it will not be in any of my deployment profiles.

I am looking to achieve the same functionality for my custom installer that exists for Ninite managed installers. It seems I should be able to have a package named Viscosity for both 1.5.3 and 1.5.4 in my master catalog, and approve deployment for 1.5.4 on my testing profile, but keep 1.5.3 on my production profile until 1.5.4 is approved for production.

How do I accomplish this?

(I also submitted this to the Kaseya Helpdesk, #73522)

Verified Answer
  • I heard back from support on this one so I figured I would close the loop on this forum post just in case it's useful to anyone else.

"For custom installation programs, you can only have one application with the same name at a time. What you can do is create a new installer with a different name and apply it to the same profile as the other program. This way you'll be able to update to the newest version."

This is kind of what I expected the answer would be.  Currently we only have 3 KSDU profiles so it's only slightly more cumbersome than the procedure for Ninite backed applications, but it works.

All Replies
  • I heard back from support on this one so I figured I would close the loop on this forum post just in case it's useful to anyone else.

"For custom installation programs, you can only have one application with the same name at a time. What you can do is create a new installer with a different name and apply it to the same profile as the other program. This way you'll be able to update to the newest version."

This is kind of what I expected the answer would be.  Currently we only have 3 KSDU profiles so it's only slightly more cumbersome than the procedure for Ninite backed applications, but it works.