Kaseya Community

Updating apps while they are running

This question is answered

How do you handle updating apps while they are running?  As an example, all of our laptops have Flash installed, and my users spend most of their day in a flash app, so Flash is almost always in use while the laptop is on.  Whenever KDSU attempts to install an updated version, it always fails because the application is in use.

I have considered creating a pre procedure that runs before the Flash update asking the user if now is a good time to force close flash so an update can be performed, but that is very intrusive since 90% of their work happens in a flash app.  Because the machines are laptops, they are typically only online while the user is working so I don't have a predictable maintenance window.

How do you handle this in your environment?

Verified Answer
  • you can edit installer (in catalog) and use command line argument or pre -post script for close running application

• I try and run a patch window once a week, twice at the most for machines that are not always available on the standard patch days.

The idea around doing it during the patch window is so that you don't do it when the customer is using their computer because most applications can't be used and updated at the same time.

If you have ever tried to update Java or Flash on your computer via a web browser you would notice that after the installer is downloaded and executed it will normally tell you to close your web browser because Java or Flash is in use by it and the update process can't continue.

Its the same for automating update installs, you still need an outage for the duration of the update install.

• Apply the updates as soon as the machine boots - schedule your updates for a time the machine is clearly off, and don't tick the 'skip if offline' tickbox. now the updates will run as soon as the machine next comes online - typically this is enough time to patch before the user has logged in and started up their apps.

tl;dr - you really should implement an agreed maintenance window. I know this can be tricky with laptops, but the users do get used to it eventually....also explain that if you miss your window, the machine will do updates the next time the user turns it on. They soon get used to this.

All Replies
  • To avoid intruding on the customer's office work time I try and update Common applications like Flash, Java and Adobe Reader post Patch Management using the Post Patch Procedure.

But then again I don't use KDSU so not sure how you would trigger it in the Post Patch Procedure

• How often and at what time do you schedule the patching procedures for your mobile users?  If the user is utilizing Flash/Reader while the procedure runs, does it complete successfully?

• you can edit installer (in catalog) and use command line argument or pre -post script for close running application

• I try and run a patch window once a week, twice at the most for machines that are not always available on the standard patch days.

The idea around doing it during the patch window is so that you don't do it when the customer is using their computer because most applications can't be used and updated at the same time.

If you have ever tried to update Java or Flash on your computer via a web browser you would notice that after the installer is downloaded and executed it will normally tell you to close your web browser because Java or Flash is in use by it and the update process can't continue.

Its the same for automating update installs, you still need an outage for the duration of the update install.

• Apply the updates as soon as the machine boots - schedule your updates for a time the machine is clearly off, and don't tick the 'skip if offline' tickbox. now the updates will run as soon as the machine next comes online - typically this is enough time to patch before the user has logged in and started up their apps.

tl;dr - you really should implement an agreed maintenance window. I know this can be tricky with laptops, but the users do get used to it eventually....also explain that if you miss your window, the machine will do updates the next time the user turns it on. They soon get used to this.

• Procedure KDSU- Skype.pre-procedure.askuser.xml

Thank you to all who replied.  I went ahead and created a pre-procedure for Skype that I will be testing over the next few weeks.  If it works well for Skype I will create clones for the other problem apps.  I will also experiment with scheduling the updates at boot time for a few people, but I am concerned about the possibility of slowing down the computer while the user is trying to open all their apps.