Kaseya Community

Excluding just 1 machine from policy management?

• Hi all

Is there a way in policy management to exclude just 1 machine by name?
    I've been able to keep my policies very neat but every now and then there is a machine which is the exception to the general rule for a site, and normally its due to the end user, so its not something where I can create a new view for. (would be great to have a view which says use facial recognition and apply this to all users who don't look like this face) 
    I'm applying policies based on views and machine groups. I don't want to get into the pain of applying policies per individual machine as I feel that defeats the great advantage of policies which is to apply them to a machine group and then when you add a machine to that group it automatically gets that policy applied. If I start applying to each individual machine then I may as well go back to the caveman days of kaseya and apply templates.

So does anyone know of a good way I can exclude individual machines? I'm hoping its easy and already an option which I'm just over looked :-)
    thanks in advance

• I would be interested in this as well.

• What I have done is create a custom field called "UNMANAGED" and all of my policies are configured to exclude using "NOT Y*" in the field called "UNMANAGED".  If my techs enter Y or YES in the field it would exclude from policies.

[edited by: RICHIE at 4:21 AM (GMT -7) on 14 Aug 2012] N/A
  • if you set the settings manually in Kaseya it creates an OVERRIDE for that one machine and nullifies the policies regarding that particular setting.

• i have created custom opt out fields for most services as well, kind of like Richie said, maybe a little more granular.

• We have done something similar. We have a "No Monitoring" custom field and all our views exclude machines that have a 1 in this field. We also have a "excluded monitor sets" custom field and each view has a "If not" associated with this field. For example in this field we not "NOT *Monitoring-Drivespace-C* which means we can put the string Montoring-Drivespace-C into the field and this would disable monitoring of C drive.

• just throwing this out there but you could create a different group which you could put custom monitoring against these odd machines

this assumes the the default monitoring wouldn't flow to the new group

or better still just create a new policy which stops the alarms and apply it to the machine in it's normal group then this new policy will always override the other policies settings

[edited by: Michael Dixon (enfusion) at 1:36 AM (GMT -7) on Oct 29, 2012] r
  • I typically make a view,  excluding that one machine, then change the policy to use that view. This has worked for me and is rather simple.

• Could you provide an example? I'm trying to replicate the process, but I'm not having much luck. Thanks.

• I would make a new view for this policy only.  Go to define filter and type NOT "*computername*" and then verify that the correct machine has been excluded. Assign view to policy, verify.

• So I created a view called "No Monitoring" added the filter as you indicated. Now, I have to switch the view on the SQL 2005 Monitoring policy to "No Monitoring?"  My question now is. Since SQL 2005 Monitoring policy is in a sub-folder under our Core Policy. What happens to other devices that are being monitored by SQL 2005 policy?

• If you are in agent view and have your view set to the no monitoring view, those machines will still get your SQL 2005 policies. I would call your view something like PM_SQL2005_Monitoring. We're hiding some machines from our view because those are what get the settings applied. Once you have hidden them, make sure the settings aren't applied to it. Then, you won't have to worry about them getting reapplied. I'll do something like that any time I need to exclude machines. Make sure that view is specified and not messed with or you'll have trouble later on.