Kaseya Community

Why can't we apply policies to _all_ organisations / machine groups?

• Hi, can anyone explain why Kaseya hasn't give us the option to apply policies to all organisations / machine groups at the 'top level'?

This seems like such a fundamental exclusion (even in a 1.0 release) that I feel like I've missed something?

To balance out server patching across the month, my intention was to take advantage of the patch installation scheduling policy option with a collection of views (based on patch policy membership) - in effect, I've got 8 policies each with a different patch installation schedule, each linked to a different view. So far so good.

Now when it comes time to applying the policies, I realise that I'll now have to link _all 8_ policies to _each_ organisation - clearly a totally ridiculous task given we have more than 100 organisations. I could link a single policy to each server manually, but that's not really adding much value over just setting the schedule on those servers directly.

Applying the 8 server patch policies at the 'top level' would mean I'd only ever need to link the policies once, they would only appear once in the list, my server patching would be nicely balanced and my world would be a happier place.

Why Kaseya, why? Several years on why do I _still_ get the feeling no one in your organisation understands the challenges of managing 2000+ endpoints using your platform?

/rant off Smile

• Could not agree more - I am still waiting for my license key update so I can start using KPM, but given that I had a heap of settings that I want applied across the board and at present it can't be done, I pretty much gave up and decided I need to wait for v1.1 at least.  

If you can't put a policy at the top level, then any new organisation that is created needs all the templates setup! - and I was hoping that having templates would mean not having to set up basic settings!

• Ah - I did miss something - there is at least the 'select all' option to save hundreds of clicks. Still not entirely satisfactory but it will have to do.

[edited by: Combo at 7:25 AM (GMT -7) on 7-14-2011] typo
  • It's a nuisance that it's not there but why don't you just create a view that contains all your machines?

Create a new view and select Set Group ID and choose <All Groups> then apply your policies to this.

• @Alistair : Yes that works but I would still prefer to have one single 'default' policy at the very root and not in every root-machine-group.

Another feature that is dearly missing is a Grouping feature where you can bundle a set of policies into one group and apply this group to an organisation or machine group. Maybe someone from K can step in and tell us a bit more about the roadmap for KPM.

• Bert Haver (Netherlands)
    Another feature that is dearly missing is a Grouping feature where you can bundle a set of policies into one group and apply this group to an organisation or machine group.

Grouping is already included in KPM v1.0.  Under Policies, just create a folder, and put as many policies as you want in that folder.  Then, under Assignment, simply drag that folder to an Organization/Group, or use the 'Select All' button to apply it to all Organizations.

[edited by: Kevin Franck at 10:18 AM (GMT -7) on 7-14-2011] fixed typo
  • I reckon it will change Bert.  I remember the early K2 reporting wouldn't let you run reports on the entire list but when 6.1 arrived this had changed.

The things I feel are missing are:

Event Log Settings - I can set my monitoring on event logs but have to manually set their capture, its something I normally do en-masse.

Auditing - Surprised this isn't in here as it's something that needs set on all machines

Remote Control - A few more options would be nice.

Apologies if anyone has mentioned these but these are my initial observations without reading the entire forum.

Although Kaseya have created a manual I reckon a 2 or 3 page cheat sheet type of document would go down better as I have yet to meet a techie that reads a manual unless completely beaten by something.

• Kevin Franck

Grouping is already included in KPM v1.0.  Under Policies, just create a folder, and put as many policies as you want in that folder.  Then, under Assignment, simply drag that folder to and Organization/Group, or use the 'Select All' button to apply it to all Organizations.

That's pretty slick.  Based on the fact that dragging the folder icon onto the machine group results in a folder icon with the name of the folder on it...

...I am left to conclude that anything I add to said folder later on (let's say I add a new policy called "Agent Menu Customization" to the "Universal" folder) will automatically propagate to any machine groups which have the "Universal" folder applied to them.

If that's the case, thankyouthankyouthankyou!  Big Smile

• Brian Dagan
    I am left to conclude that anything I add to said folder later on (let's say I add a new policy called "Agent Menu Customization" to the "Universal" folder) will automatically propagate to any machine groups which have the "Universal" folder applied to them.

Correct!

Also, you can establish a nested tree of Policy folders.  You can assign an individual Policy sub-folder, or a top level folder and automatically pick up all of the policy sub-folders below.

• Combo
    Ah - I did miss something - there is at least the 'select all' option to save hundreds of clicks. Still not entirely satisfactory but it will have to do.

Yes, the 'Select All' option combined with the grouping feature is the easiest way to get multiple polices assigned to all machines under management in just a few clicks.  (Of course, the View assignments will further control which policies will actually take effect for any particular machine based on the machine's View membership).

In a future release of KPM, we are considering adding the ability to assign 'global' (i.e. root-level) policies to all existing and future Orgs.

[edited by: Kevin Franck at 10:48 AM (GMT -7) on 7-14-2011] added specificity
  • Kevin Franck

Also, you can establish a nested tree of Policy folders.  You can assign an individual Policy sub-folder, or a top level folder and automatically pick up all of the policy sub-folders below.

Well this is gem of the the week!  I would reckon that there would be LOTS of people who didnt know this.

BUT, I still heavily support the ability to add them at the top level.  The reason for this is that when a new client is added I still have to come into the system and add the default policies to the client, as by default the folder has no policies!  This kind of the defeats the purpose of the whole module.  a policy is a policy.  If I apply it at the top level, all companies would get it.  Doesn't this make sense to anyone at K?

• jdvuyk
    a policy is a policy.  If I apply it at the top level, all companies would get it.  Doesn't this make sense to anyone at K?

Yes.  As mentioned above, in a future version of KPM, we are considering adding the ability to assign 'global' (i.e. root-level) policies.

• Thanks for the clarification Kevin, you've been a real crowd pleaser today :)

• @Kevin

Feature request!

So, not knowing about the fact that we could assign folders instead of having to assign individual policies, I'm now going back through and removing the standalone "Check-in Control" and "Working Directory" policies from all of my machine groups.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to remove a particular policy from all "checked" machine groups if it was individually applied.  I agree that the folders are a much more logical way to go for this reason, but for those of us who like to routinely shoot ourselves in the foot (Stick out tongue), it would be helpful to be able to select a policy on the right and click a new button up top that says, "Remove selected policy from all selected machine groups."  At present, I have to go group-by-group, select each manually, and then hit Remove.  Alternately, keep the "Remove" button as-is, but give the option to either "Remove highlighted policy from just this machine group" or "Remove highlighted policy from all selected machine groups."

Back to clicking... Tongue Tied

• @Kevin

Thank you for clearing the air about being able to group a set of policies under a folder (structure). Correct me if I am wrong but I am under the impression that you add a policy to a folder and have to maintain this policiy manually. I would prefer to be able to add a link to a policy. So for example you can have a 'default' policy and use it in many groups (read folders). When you update this linked policy all groups/folders will be affected. That is Object Oriented maintaining policies!

Will there be a possibility to edit policy settings (f.i. Agent Procedures) and hot having to remove them first and add them with other settings.