Kaseya Community

Importing into a Policy

This question is answered

Hi!

I've downloaded and installed the Policy Management module thingy.  It looks good, and I am starting to play with it, before letting it loose into the wild.

I have a simple question that I can't seem to find the answer to.

Can you import into a policy?  Say I have a machine that is all setup the way I want it to be, can I import all of the settings from that into a Policy?  If so how?  If not why not?

I don't want to spend oodles of time going through and recreating the settings I have configured over the years for all of my different clients.  Call me lazy, which no doubt I am, but recreating all of those configurations as policies would take huge amounts of time, and that would feel to me as time wasted.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Verified Answer
  • Rohop
    Can you import into a policy?  Say I have a machine that is all setup the way I want it to be, can I import all of the settings from that into a Policy?  If so how?

Yes.  Navigate to Policy Management / Policies.  Select a Folder.   Click the ‘Import from Template’ button.  Enter a name for the Policy, and select the machine with the settings that you want to import.  Click the ‘Import’ button, and your done.

Note: Currently, there is a known problem with the “Import from Template’ feature.  It currently throws an error.  We will soon be releasing a hot fix to correct this.

[edited by: Kevin Franck at 2:37 PM (GMT -7) on 6-28-2011] typo
All Replies
  • Hi,

You could possibly try Copy Settings from the Agent module. This is what I would experiment with.

1. Create an organisation called Template

2. I would then go Agent --> Install Agents --> Create and create a template called "customer_name" eg. bobs_farm.templates in the newly created Templates group

3. Then go to Agent --> Configure Agents --> Copy Settings

4. There should be a "copy" button at the top, and next to it there is "select machine ID", click on that

5. A pop up window will appear, find the machine that you have all your settings setup on and select it.

6. back in the main window, make sure your template agent is selected and click "Copy".

To check that the appropriate settings copied correctly, click on the agent icon which should be an orange square, and then go to Agent Data, and you can see all the pending procedures that you can cancel or add to if you like.

This isn't exactly what you asked for, but its the closet thing I think. As far as I am aware there is no way to copy settings from an agent to a policy, just from agent to agent.

Cheers.

• Rohop
    Can you import into a policy?  Say I have a machine that is all setup the way I want it to be, can I import all of the settings from that into a Policy?  If so how?

Yes.  Navigate to Policy Management / Policies.  Select a Folder.   Click the ‘Import from Template’ button.  Enter a name for the Policy, and select the machine with the settings that you want to import.  Click the ‘Import’ button, and your done.

Note: Currently, there is a known problem with the “Import from Template’ feature.  It currently throws an error.  We will soon be releasing a hot fix to correct this.

[edited by: Kevin Franck at 2:37 PM (GMT -7) on 6-28-2011] typo
  • Thats cool, thought I was missing something. I'll wait until the hotfix is released.  Any idea on when it will be fixed?

• Rohop
    Any idea on when it will be fixed?

It is being worked on now.  The hotfix should be available within the next couple weeks.

• I saw this posted from a different topic.

Hi Brian, we are planning to hotfix the Import from Template error on Thursday 6/30, and the rest of the issues on 7/6. Thanks.