Kaseya Community

vmware esxi 5 datastore monitoring

• Does anyone know how to monitor the datastores in vmware esxi 5 using either performance monitors or CIM monitors?

I would like to be able to monitor disk space used or free per datastore.  Everything I am seeing is about disk reads and writes.

A simple graph like CPU utilization Average would really be nice.

• I know this is not the solution you're looking for, but I still want to recommend it: http://www.logicmonitor.com

[edited by: SMason at 12:48 PM (GMT -7) on Mar 28, 2013] Fixed URL
  • The datastores utilization cannot be monitored using CIM or VMware performance. We are working on extending the VMware functions in KNM to include this, but I cannot give you a date on when it will be done. The workaround that we recommend now is to use SSH for monitoring datastores. Have a look at community.kaseya.com/.../1035.aspx first on how to enable SSH on your hosts to allow KNM to connect. For an sample script, I have provided two at dl.dropbox.com/.../SSH_ESXi_DSInfo.zip for you. ESXi4 and 5 responds differently to the df command so that's why there are two different scripts. Please keep in mind that these scripts were made a while ago, and I have not tested against ESX 5.1 for example. They should be viewed as samples at the moment. I will publish them at the resource library after proper testing.

• I also noticed that these scripts are for KNM 4.1 and cannot be used right away "as is" in v5 due to the changes for authentication. If you need help fixing that, let me know or have a look at community.kaseya.com/.../1107.aspx on how to add username/password fields to a Lua script for KNM. Check the section "Lua scripts" in the document.

• Hi Tomas

have the problem with this script with the login

Have deleted getaccountuser , nada no authentication.

Thank you

• Hi,

We will be testing a new builtin VMware datastore utilization monitor this week, and if all goes well it will be included in the next published release. I think it would be best to wait for that, rather than analyzing why the script isn't working at the moment.

• Hi El Sarner,

I'm also testing the SSH LUA script and resolved the login error. You get this error because the root user doen't have permission to login via a script.

If you do as described in this howto the login error is solved: community.kaseya.com/.../1035.aspx.

The only problem is that I've got a new error to solve now: "Syntax error in LUA script ssh_esxi5_datastoreinfo.lua, [string ""]:140: attempt to perform arithmetic on a nil value.".

• I can inform you all that in the next published release, we will have a datastore utilization monitor built in. It has also been added to the internal VMware device template, so as soon as you setup a new ESXi host, a datastore utlization monitor will be setup for each datastore. Unfortunately, the monitors for Iops and disk read/write rates don't display the real name of the datastore, but we are working on a way to combine these two so that it will look prettier in the interface. As it is now, the other monitors shows the GUID for the datastore and not the name.

• I've just installed up KNM 5 and don't see any VMware device templates...

• The VMware device template is a system template, which is not visible in the interface. When a device is set to any of the VMware operating systems, and the VMware credentials are set, then KNM automatically tries to apply it. After confirming that the OS and credentials are sett correct, try adding a monitor. You should now have several predefined monitors for your ESXi host that you can add.

If you don't see any predefined monitors, confirm your VMware credentials and that the KNM server/gateway can connect to the default SSL port on the ESXi host (443). Try then by adding a VMware performance monitor. If KNM can enumerate instances, then the credentials and connection info are correct.

• I had to manually add as a new device(be sure to set Operating System to Hypervisor and choose your ESX verion).  When it shows Green run an Inspect Now and when that completes click on Add Monitor.  Everything should show under Preconfigured.  Highlight one of the options under there and you should have the option to "Add all preconfigured"

• Network discovery of VMWare was recently improved with a few tweaks, what version did you run ?

• Thanks guys, I'll have a play and see how I go.