Kaseya Community

Monitoring HostedExchange Providers

• Hi,

I'd like to use KNM to monitor various HostedExchange Vendors we work with. Seems quite easy to monitor owa, but I'm sure we can monitor others things as well.

Has anyone done that already ?

Regards,

Thomas

• Hi,

I'm not 100% sure of what it is that you are trying to monitor now. If I understand the question correctly, you wish to monitor different Exchange hosting providers? It would be a bit difficult unless you place a gateway inside the provider's premises. We have templates for monitoring Exchange using perfmon but that requires you to have a gateway places inside the provider's premises, plus administrator rights to the Exchange installation.

With EWS enabled, it would be further possible to monitor some mailbox-specific information like availability (free-busy), rules or search but I don't think that's what you are after. That's more for management rather than monitoring.

Regards,

• Thanks Thomas

We want to monitor exchange provider where we don't have access to their infrastructure, we have email accounts there. Basically we want to be informed when something goes wrong on their side. I was thinking monitoring their owa, maybe doing mail QOS.

• Hi,

Mail QoS would work if SMTP and POP3/IMAP4 are enabled. With just OWA, you are quite limited. Especially if form-based authentication is enabled. Then you could write a Lua script that would do the login process though. I've never tested if for example the Powershell script Test-OWAConnectivity would work against a remote server, if you just have a regular user's credentials. Normally that requires a special test user's credentials but I guess that could be altered. To be able to use that would require you to install the Exchange Management Tools on the server doing the testing. In KNM 4.1, we don't have support for Powershell but it's planned for v5.

• I'll look into that, thanks tomas.