Kaseya Community

Monitoring switch port link status in KNM

This question is answered

Using KNM  4.0 (Build 6541) on Windows 2008 R2 x64

I am troubleshooting a connection on a specific switch and am wondering if the link is going down. KNM automatically detected the interfaces and added bandwidth monitors. I went to the properties of the bandwidth monitor for the port in question and see that there is a "Check Link Status" box. Is this the best way to monitor if a link goes down? Also, if the link went down only momentarily, I am assuming a monitor interval of 60 seconds would not register the link as down? I would need to drop it to 5 seconds or even down to 1 second?

Thinking out loud, would it be better to setup snmp traps and have the switch send the alert to the KNM server if that link goes down?

Thanks,

Isaac

Verified Answer
  • The lowest test time is 10 seconds, but in practice, 60 seconds is to recommend.

As you suggested, link down notifications is probably best done with traps if you want instant notification.

The bandwidth monitor can be used in maps on the dashboard to display current traffic volumes and the check link status (if enabled) will show a "link down" icon on the object on the map (if the port is down that is).

All Replies
  • The lowest test time is 10 seconds, but in practice, 60 seconds is to recommend.

As you suggested, link down notifications is probably best done with traps if you want instant notification.

The bandwidth monitor can be used in maps on the dashboard to display current traffic volumes and the check link status (if enabled) will show a "link down" icon on the object on the map (if the port is down that is).