Kaseya Community

Alarms in KNM

This question is answered

Using KNM  4.0 (Build 6541) on Windows 2008 R2 x64

I am new to KNM and trying to determine the most effective way to setup alarming for objects with multiple monitors. For example, on most of the objects I am configuring, I just want to be alerted if the device stops responding to ping but am not interested about RAM/CPU/Bandwidth etc as far as alerting goes. I still want those other monitors for historical data.

So is it better to set an action list of No Alarm on the object, add the monitors and then manually change the Ping monitor to an action list of Alarm or is there some kind of dependency where I can set the object action list to Alarm and just make the other non-essential monitors dependent on Ping? I want to avoid getting an alarm for every single interface monitor going offline on a switch when all I want to know is if the device is pingable.

Hope that makes sense.

Verified Answer
  • alarm_filtering.PNG

You can certainly set a blank default action list and override it in the monitor that you wont alarms form, that will work.

I would also make the ping monitor the local dependency monitor within the object (this is done on the object property page), that will ensure that if ping fails , testing stops for all other monitors (since they wont be reached), this will save you from most of the connection oriented alarms, but keeping threshold alarms active.

Another way is to uncheck the various alarm types in the monitor, that will also inhibit the alarms (see attached screenshot).

All Replies
  • alarm_filtering.PNG

You can certainly set a blank default action list and override it in the monitor that you wont alarms form, that will work.

I would also make the ping monitor the local dependency monitor within the object (this is done on the object property page), that will ensure that if ping fails , testing stops for all other monitors (since they wont be reached), this will save you from most of the connection oriented alarms, but keeping threshold alarms active.

Another way is to uncheck the various alarm types in the monitor, that will also inhibit the alarms (see attached screenshot).