Kaseya Community

Network Discovery SNMP Question/Feedback

This question has suggested answer(s)

Hello,

Currently we are trying out Kaseya Network Monitor and we experience a few weird things. At first if I start a Network Discovery and discover a SNMP device it only shows that it found bandwidth usage and utilization as predefined monitors. Now what I was expecting is that it would run a SNMP walk and scan all the available OIDs to monitor the device and add those as predefined monitors, apparantly that ain't happening.

Is this something that will be added in the future, or is it already possible bij defining your own sets that need to be checked if I initate a Network Discovery.

Aswell it's nice that the product is able to check for available monitors but we experience a weird thing in adding a predefined bandwidth usage monitor, if I would add a bandwidth usage monitor I would like to see the inbound and outbound octets being seperated from each other and not being counted together and being put together in 1 graph as 1 unit. Preferable I would see something like inbound octects being 1 unit and outbound being 1 unit put together in 1 graph, so you would have 2 units in 1 graph (as most monitoring solutions are doing). If i want to accomplish this I have to create two seperate monitors and put them together in a graph on the dashboard.

Again is this something that will be added or changed in the future?

I hope my feedback is usefull in some kind of way, Thanks in advance.

Patrick

All Replies
  • Thank you for your feedback, much appreciated that you take time helping us making the product better.

Currently we are trying out Kaseya Network Monitor and we experience a few weird things. At first if I start a Network Discovery and discover a SNMP device it only shows that it found bandwidth usage and utilization as predefined monitors. Now what I was expecting is that it would run a SNMP walk and scan all the available OIDs to monitor the device and add those as predefined monitors, apparantly that ain't happening.

The purpose of network discovery is the find the machine, establish its type of operating system and add a few standard monitors to that (CPU, Memory, Disk etc). 

After that you can apply any type of object template you want to further describe monitoring. 

In the next version of KNM we will refine this process to apply different templates for discovered objects and make it easier to automatic adjust the parameters of the applied monitors in the templates. 

Aswell it's nice that the product is able to check for available monitors but we experience a weird thing in adding a predefined bandwidth usage monitor, if I would add a bandwidth usage monitor I would like to see the inbound and outbound octets being seperated from each other and not being counted together and being put together in 1 graph as 1 unit. Preferable I would see something like inbound octects being 1 unit and outbound being 1 unit put together in 1 graph, so you would have 2 units in 1 graph (as most monitoring solutions are doing). If i want to accomplish this I have to create two seperate monitors and put them together in a graph on the dashboard.

The bandwidth monitor is going to be updated in v5 , splitting in/out. 

• Thanks for the response, now we atleast known what we can expect in the future!

Meanwhile we haven't been standing still on testing the product and I have some more feedback regarding the reports function. We'd like to see some feature added that will be able to show all objects and/or monitors that have triggered an alarm in the last month/week/day.

Expanding this with a feature that will filter the shown graphs based on the devices that triggered alarms in that last month/week/day would make the reports function perfect!

Again, thanks in advance.

Patrick

• I cant go into detail on v5, but I cant tell so much that detailed monitor state change logging is in there and that the data will end up in a report.

Expanding this with a feature that will filter the shown graphs based on the devices that triggered alarms in that last month/week/day would make the reports function perfect!

Do you mean that you want a graph of the number of alarms over time ?

[edited by: RA at 6:30 AM (GMT -8) on 1-30-2012] asdasd
  • Thanks for the quick response!

Do you mean that you want a graph of the number of alarms over time ?

Not exactly, let me explain. When I am monitoring a customer network I would want to create a monthly report. I don't really want to spam the customer with all the information that is available about the network, but just the information that is needed.

Alarm information is in this case very usefull, so I would like to be able to add an overview of the alarms that have been triggered that month (like the network or objects status widget on the dashboard, but then with the data of past month). This will result in a list with a couple of devices that triggered alarms.

Now I want to generate some graphs about the CPU load of only the devices that triggered alarms that month. So if there are 5 devices that triggered an alarm past month, then there will be 5 graphs with the CPU load of these 5 devices.

I hope my explanation is clear right now, Thanks.

Patrick

• Thanks , got it, added to our suggestion bin !