Kaseya Community

no SNMP OID info ESX HP server

• Hello,

I've installed ESX 5 on a HP 350G6. SNMP is working because i see SNMP traps and requests. (tested with WireShark).
    But i do have problems with reading the Compaq parts. So i can't read out for example the Drive Aarry Physical Drive Index.

Sander

• Do you have an SNMP agent (do not confuse with Kaseya agent) installed on the monitored machine that is suppose to deliver such data ? 

• Yes i have .. as you can see i get some SNMP info

• That is two different MIBs, one is the default MIB-II branch (most SNMP agents by default publish this branch) and one is part of Compaq/HP's enterprise MIB.

Have you installed the HP ESX agent (HP Insight Manager Agents for VMware ESX Server) ? and if so, which version ?

• Im using esxi5 are the agents compatible with esxi 5?

Where can i install the agents.

• ESXi is very different from ESX that you mentioned in your first post.

To my knowledge ESXi out of the box only supports Traps (no Get requests)

WBEM is supported if you install the OEM version of ESXi from HP. Then you can use the Lua scripts in the \scripts directory to monitor PSU's , Disk array and fans. 

[edited by: RA at 5:07 AM (GMT -8) on 1-17-2012] asd
  • Can you tell me how the LUA scripts works in combination with HP.

I've installed the HP build. If im pulling out a disk i see in vSphere client a warning. But i dont see any SNMP trap about that warning.

Do i need to configure that agent too?

• The following ESXi releated Lua scripts are bundled with the KNM default install:

WBEM_ESXi_HP_Fan_Status_.lua

WBEM_ESXi_HP_PSU_Status_.lua

WBEM_ESXi_HP_RaidArray_Status_.lua

They communicate with the ESXi instance over secure HTTP on port 5989. They accept certificates that are out of date and with a broken CA, but not a revoked certificate (yet, fix for this is comming in 4.1).

To use these scripts, simply create an object with an address pointing on the ESXi  and the system type "Generic".

Create a lua monitor and select one of the scripts from the dropdown menu.

• They communicate with the ESXi instance over secure HTTP on port 5989. They accept certificates that are out of date and with a broken CA, but not a revoked certificate (yet, fix for this is comming in 4.1).

That means we have to open 5989 at the firewall?

• You do not have a gateway on the same network as your ESXi server ?

I would _not_ recommend exposing any VMWare server to an external network.

• I have the following config:

ESXi ------> Gateway -> !!!INTERNET!!! ---> Gateway distributed version

• The gateway need to be able to connect to 5989 on the ESXi host, if they are on the same LAN and you have a firewall between the gateway and the ESXi you need to open a port in that firewall blocking the gateway.

• ok .. i've got the following error: Failed to parse XML

• Your ESXi server returned an unexpected answer or an incomplete answer.  To findout what (if anything) it returned, do the following:

1. install the Lua IDE , load the script. (the Lua IDE can be found and downloaded form the KNM About page in the web interface)

2. Find the following line in the script:

"    Reader = TLuaXMLReader()"

_before_ that line, enter

print(sData)

3. Press f5 and first add the host (that is your ESXi server) and then select it to execute the script.

4. Paste the content of the debug output window into this thread

• Using host: 192.168.230.11

Syntax ok