Kaseya Community

LMS Training for KNM?

This question is answered

Hi all,

Is there any training material for Kaseya Network Monitoring (The intellipool thing?)

I am looking to make the plunge but want to read the integration doco for it. 

I am on Intellipools site now so i might have answered my own question, i am hoping its all there.

Lastly, from what i gather, it sits outside of the Kaseya VSA? Its not the single pane of glass thing? 

Any thoughts / ideas would be much appreciated :)

Verified Answer
  • Mark from what I've read, and I've not yet dipped my toe fully in the water, there is no integration, for the time being I would imagine though information is a little light.  

It amuses me when it's described as agentless as you need to install the main app locally on the customer network, I suppose strictly speaking it's not an agent but it does need software installed to capture the data.  If you then go for the bigger product you can then have a console locally which gets fed back into by the (not agents) console at the customers site.

From the demo I saw it looked very good and is certainly something we could utilise providing it becomes part of Kaseya proper as I do not want the headache of another application to find a server for and more logins for people to remember.  It really does look like Kaseya can rid K2 of their awful SNMP and replace it with this. I guess we'll see.

• The local install is a gateway server and very useful.

The idea is that it scans the network locally to identify machines but also handles the monitoring of devices, it also records data and stores should it not be able to communicate with the primary server then when communication is reestablished it sends up data.

You can also specify certain alerts as local alerts so should communication to the web fail say but an alert internally goes off you can still alert somebody on the site - can't remember how to do it though.

It is completely agentless as you don't need any agents installed on the monitored devices - the gateway server is a very common model for monitoring tools and provides a lot of benefits.

INM is a good product makes simple life of SNMP monitoring too.

Has some down fails such as event log monitoring and suspending alarms is more fiddly.

Dependencies is good too so linking alarms to one alarm so if ping fails then all others are ignored....

All Replies
  • Mark from what I've read, and I've not yet dipped my toe fully in the water, there is no integration, for the time being I would imagine though information is a little light.  

It amuses me when it's described as agentless as you need to install the main app locally on the customer network, I suppose strictly speaking it's not an agent but it does need software installed to capture the data.  If you then go for the bigger product you can then have a console locally which gets fed back into by the (not agents) console at the customers site.

From the demo I saw it looked very good and is certainly something we could utilise providing it becomes part of Kaseya proper as I do not want the headache of another application to find a server for and more logins for people to remember.  It really does look like Kaseya can rid K2 of their awful SNMP and replace it with this. I guess we'll see.

• The local install is a gateway server and very useful.

The idea is that it scans the network locally to identify machines but also handles the monitoring of devices, it also records data and stores should it not be able to communicate with the primary server then when communication is reestablished it sends up data.

You can also specify certain alerts as local alerts so should communication to the web fail say but an alert internally goes off you can still alert somebody on the site - can't remember how to do it though.

It is completely agentless as you don't need any agents installed on the monitored devices - the gateway server is a very common model for monitoring tools and provides a lot of benefits.

INM is a good product makes simple life of SNMP monitoring too.

Has some down fails such as event log monitoring and suspending alarms is more fiddly.

Dependencies is good too so linking alarms to one alarm so if ping fails then all others are ignored....

• I do defend Kaseya's SNMP, its a good protocol that is hard to integrate, after spending some time talking to their developers, K2 makes the best of a bad situation with its basic SNMP monitoring, but i guess it relies on users to have an incredibly verbose knowledge of SNMP before even taking Kaseya into consideration.

I am however, like everyone else, waiting for the brainless way to monitor hardware, and i am tossing up between KNM and VEEAM, or open to other options. We will get there with VMWARE, its just a matter of time.

• I don't defend Kaseya SNMP the interface is terrible it makes SNMP cryptic as £"$% I think after about 20 minutes of using INM i finally got SNMP and quickly managed to get numerous devices up and running for monitoring.

Plus it is completely hit or miss if it actually detects the devices and you have to flaff around tweaking this and trying to tweak that to get it to work - then they added snmp traps to kaseya (great BUT) they dumped the data into the app log of your server huh so now I have an app log full of crap about snmp traps instead of valuable server errors / warnings. Kaseya monitoring has had issues since day one, they know it and that's why they bought INM (I say fair play acknowledge and move on) - while INM is not the complete package by any stretch of the imagination it is definitely a more professional monitoring product than kaseya is.

Plus one big bonus to using INM over kaseya for monitoring is that you can get around the issues for enterprise clients where if we monitor your environment we really have full access to it - with INM you can really only monitor.

Also Veeam will only monitor your vmware environment (which I am sure you are aware of) not the rest of your hardware which is were INM kicks in...

We are also trialling Nimsoft at the moment - they have a great vmware plugin although really only for monitoring the actual virtual platform.

• We'd held off using SNMP for years and then when I did one of the online training sessions the trainer (whose name I remember but will omit from this post) pretty much dissed it and suggested using only if you really, really have to.  Having looked at it since I think we can live without but where we need to we'll weigh up INM against it to see which offers us the best solution.

• @Mmartin, the interface isn't great but once i got my head around where everything is it was easy enough.

The reason why i use the SNMP module extensively is because after i moved on from it not doing things automatically and discovering things properly, i figured the manual device management was easier. Sure it took 3 months but i came up with snmp sets that covered 95 of the hardware we support - and now when i get new hardware, with a program like getif, i can get the manufacturer mibs, walk the device, and create a set for any hardware within an hour.  I have only once had to resort to sending traps instead of building manual snmp sets.

With that said, i don't want to do things manually all the time and greatly respect what you have written because you are right, we will us INM but not just yet, when it sits inside Kaseyas VSA and is "completely seemless" i will use it.

I know VEEAM is only for vmware (90+ percent of our customers), the information reports and graphs it has makes it worth the investment, but only if INM doesn't deliver.

Eagerly awaiting the day when hardware is as easy to monitor as software.

@Alistair, i had this same conversation with a trainer, but he footnoted that SNMP is complex without Kaseya, you can get a 150,000 dollar a year job being an SNMP expert and nothing else, whilst Kaseya's implementation of it (being streamlined - in the VSA nicely) could be better, it has never ever let me down.