Kaseya Community

KNM vs. KNDM vs. KServer -> Monitor -> SNMP Monitoring... Really what's the difference I'm paying for?

This question is not answered

So here is my question.  I already have my KServer and all the SNMP, Log, etc. monitoring functionality that exists with it.  I also have the Network Discovery and Monitoring (KNDM) add-on, which hasn't been very useful thus far.  Here is my question.  I went through the KNM presentation and truly don't see what functionality is being added by Intellipool.  I won't argue that at first glance it looks like a more developed version of what already exists residentally in the Kaseya MITSE, but beyond that, I TRULY don't see any real difference.  I'm getting the feeling that I'm being asked to pay more for a piece of functionality that already exists and just isn't as developed from a GUI standpoint, not a functionality standpoint.

My organization has been providing Network Device monitoring and management services for roughly 10 years, and though the Kaseya SNMP, Log, etc. component doesn't quite deliver as well as our last solution and could use some improving, I didn't see anything in the KNM add-on that doesn't already exist in Kaseya.  More developed shouldn't equal more money from me.  That's what I'm already paying maintenance for.  Can someone please explain this to me?  It's very possible I'm just missing something.

All Replies
  • So....let me try to address some of this from a roadmap perspective

1.  KND (Network Discovery):  We are looking to roll more and more of that into the core product itself such that it will integrate in other ways with other products.  The nMap scans are looking to be included in the next version of the VSA (6.3) due out in 2012.  We are still discussing how far to roll that thing in.

2.  KNM vs. SNMP (agent based).  Clearly the KNM has the advantage here and we are working on the integrated version of these tools.  The likely long term solution is where KNM gateways are deployed instead of using the agent based solution but you'll be able to have it all integrated into the VSA

3.  KEM (Kaseya Enterprise Monitoring).  There are discussions here to include deeper monitoring for things like

- NetFlow / sFlow

- Application Monitoring

- VMWare / XenWorks / HyperVisor type monitoring

- Voip monitoring

As always, I'm interested in the feedback (either here or jeff.keyes@kaseya.com)

[edited by: Brendan Cosgrove at 9:36 AM (GMT -8) on 12-8-2011] spelling
  • I was under the impression that KND was basically going to be abandoned based on the acquisition and integration of KNM, since there is a lot of redundancy.  I was planning to remove KND from my KServer since we haven’t yet used it and won’t in consideration of KNM.  Are you saying that KND is going to continue to be developed and I should keep it?

KEM – I know nothing of this product as I was not part of the controlled release and don’t see it in the Preview Server.  From what I see in the Release Announcement PDF, it seems like there is a fair amount of overlap with current KServer functionality, however if it’s an improvement to what we have now, I would be interested, though I don't have many complaints.  More importantly, the attractiveness of the reporting, some of the monitoring, alerting with SMS and Jabber, etc. combined with some of what you mentioned here with NetFlow/sFlow, Application Monitoring, Virtualization, VoIP, etc. would make this VERY attractive.

To be candid, one very key component that, in my opinion, is missing from Kaseya relates to auto close of Alarms/Tickets.  For example, knowing that an agent is offline and when it’s back online is great.  However the system creating Alarms/Tickets for offline, for X period of time, and in turn closing Alarms/Tickets when back online, for Y period of time, with a note that it was Auto Closed by the system would help dramatically in eliminating the number of open Alarms/Tickets that my team needs to review when they start their shift.  Capturing the instances is great but needing to review an issue that is already resolved is not.  Obviously you can’t do that with Event Log Sets, Log Parsing, and SNMP Traps, but Monitoring Sets, Agent Status, System Checks, SNMP Monitoring Sets, etc. should be fairly easy.  Just a thought.