Kaseya Community

KAM installs not starting installation scripts on endpoints

• If your installs are not starting the install scripts, check the status of "Kaseya Anti-Malware Service" service on your KServer.  If it's stopped, start the server.  

Travis

Kaseya Support

[edited by: Travis.Boyle at 10:54 AM (GMT -8) on 1-20-2011] stickied for a week while issue shakes through
  • You just fixed this issue for us.  Thanks Travis

• I had this issue and found the "Kaseya Anti-Malware Service" was already started, I had to restart that service to get the install script to fire.

• I see it fails if MBAM is already installed.  Anyone have an uninstall script handy?  Thank you.

• I believe you can run the uninstall from the Anti-Malware module and it will uninstall any version of MBAM (not just KAM).

• We tried that in testing, and found that it (or the subsequent attempt at installing after it was supposedly uninstalled) would put the machine in some weird loop.  Best error ever:

2011-01-25 18:54:40.743   Not calling UninstallNeedRestart because a restart

has already been deemed necessary.

2011-01-25 18:54:40.743   Need to restart Windows? Yes

2011-01-25 18:54:40.759   Will not restart Windows automatically.  <- This made me LOL. :)

So, a lot of the issue is that the uninstall via KAM interface doesn't reboot the machine.  We've had 100% success just using our own uninstall script:

Essentially, it's two IF statements (sorry about not pasting the XML, but it's easier just to explain):

1st IF: test for presence of "C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\unins000.exe" (quotes important), and if so perform the following two steps:

1. Execute Shell Command as System: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\unins000.exe /SILENT" -- quotes important here too

2. Execute procedure Reboot-Nag (you'll find that in your Sample Procedures section) with a delay of 2 minutes to give it time to finish.

2nd IF: identical to above, except looks for it in C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware for the file, then does the same uninstall steps.

This accomodates both 32- and 64-bit OSs, but the big key here is that the Reboot-Nag script reboots the machine if nobody's logged in, or nags every 5 minutes (bwahaha!) for the user to reboot.  That's perfect.

Once the machine has then been rebooted, installation works every time (so far).

We've submitted the KAM interface uninstall's lack of rebooting or prompting to reboot to support.  Obviously we'd prefer to use the KAM interface to uninstall, but we're comfortable with our workaround.