Kaseya Community

Install: Previous version of Malwarebytes was installed. Run the uninstall command first.

This question is answered

I continue to get this message on 3 XP and one Windows 7 Workstations which had Malware bytes previously installed...

I first manually uninstalled MalwareBytes from the machines, rebooted, ran audit and retried the install, install failed with the previous version message

I ran the uninstall from the console, showed as notinstalled, tried install again failed with the previous version message

I ran the verify from the console, showed as notinstalled, tried install again failed with the previous version message

Any suggestions/thoughts?   I was thinking about trying to reinstall MalwareBytes, then running the uninstall from the console rather than doing a manual uninstall.

Verified Answer
  • We check a registry key for previous versions of malwarebytes

(not exact - but you'll get the idea)

HKLM\Software\MalwareBytes\InstallLocation

If it exists, we assumed it was installed.....that turned out to be a bad assumption.  We are now looking for that registry key AND the uninstaller (uninstall.exe) in the directory (as of the latest build dropped last night)

The fix?

Get a new build or delete the reg key

Jeff

All Replies
  • We check a registry key for previous versions of malwarebytes

(not exact - but you'll get the idea)

HKLM\Software\MalwareBytes\InstallLocation

If it exists, we assumed it was installed.....that turned out to be a bad assumption.  We are now looking for that registry key AND the uninstaller (uninstall.exe) in the directory (as of the latest build dropped last night)

The fix?

Get a new build or delete the reg key

Jeff