Kaseya Community

KAV 1.4 - Causing lockups?

This question has suggested answer(s)

I've upgraded a few computers to the latest version of KAV. They previously had v6.0.4.1424 and now to the newest,  v6.0.4.1611. One of them is experiencing lockups/crashes with a bizarre set of symptoms that did not happen prior to the update.

1) This is one of several laptop users, and this only occurs when he boots up and logs in OFF of our LAN. If the user starts the machine and logs in while in our office connected to our network the problem does not manifest.

2) It boots up, and he can log in to windows fine, and get to a normal desktop - this is where things start to get haywire.

3) At this point, nothing works, every application you try to open immediately closes, no error message, no error "beeps" or "dings" the program just closes. This is EVERYTHING. We've tried Windows Explorer, Internet Explorer, Office applications. The start menu will not popup.   CTRL+ALT+DEL works, it brings up the CTRL+ALT+DEL menu, I've tried even running task manager from there and that just closes immediately.

All of the computers in our firm are Windows 7 - 64bit. he other users on the latest KAV are office users and don't typically leave our office.From the Kaseya AntiVirus module I can Pause Protection on this machine, and everything will work upon reboot.

I've done several things troubleshooting this.

1) Uninstall & Reinstall KAV from the Kaseya (with reboots as Kaseya does them during uninstalls/installs)

1) Uninstall KAV from the workstation, reboot, then reinstall from Kaseya

2) Uninstall KAV  via Kaseya, reboot, run the Kaspersky removal tool, reboot again, then reinstall from Kaseya

Each and every time the machine displays the same problem behavior.

Is anyone else seeing this, or have any advice?

All Replies
  • JosephM,

We installed the KAV 1.4 the day after it was available. We installed on 100 machines without incident. I then tried another 30 machines and had two issues as you describe. In reviewing our notes, we found these very two same machines had issues installing 1.3. The problem was narrowed to Windows Defender and or MS Security Essentials. Did you check the problem machines to see if either or both of these are installed and or running?

-Marcb

• Sorry for the pause with the reply, we've done some more troubleshooting with our machines, and we've since confirmed Windows Defender is turned off - and MS Securit y Essentials is not installed. My prime laptop having issues was an upgrade from build 1424 to build 1611

• We've had this behavior in the last two days also. Three new HP laptops were installed (HP 8470p & 2560p, SSD, Win 7 x64) and everything was running smoothly until KAV was installed (build 1611).

After the reboot task manager, explorer, etc. were unresponsive. Many different errors in events, including WMI and system log "A desktop heap allocation failed." - error.

The same happened after reinistalls. Much googling gave us a workaround for now:

Disable Anti-Spy

We did that and now all three new PC's run fine (so far).

What's troubling is that the searches also revealed this happening to other people also, when they've updated to 1611. We possibly need to centrally disable Anti Spy until a fix is released.

Here's a few results of our searches:

forum.kaspersky.com/.../t247028.html

translate.google.fi/translate

-J. Ceasar

• We may also be experiencing this.

• We have resolved this issue on problem machines by:

* log out all users

* run a verification installation of KAV

* re-apply the profile

* shutdown (NOT reboot)

* startup machine

• Bump**

We are also experiencing this on random computers from time to time. Newly installed computers aswell as older ones.

We have tried Simons fix and it seems that it works on some computers. But our techs tells me it does not work on all computers.

It's a hassle to troubleshoot since it is a intermittent problem.

I know there is a big update of KAV coming up. But has anyone found a permanent solution on this besides disabling Anti-Spy?

And is it verified that it is the moduel Anti-spy causing this?

• I have similar thing happening on my own computer (and on few another computers). Startup applications won't load, right click menu doesn't work, cannot run any applications etc.

Without any other action than disabling Anti-Spy problem was fixed.

• Tomi, I had this happen to one user and a complete shut-down and cold reboot fixed the issue for us. It also looked like KAV was installed when there were a couple of patches pending a reboot. The only thing i could click was Start > Shut Down. This installed the patches, and then when I booted the machine, everything was working again.

• We are starting to see this issue a lot, probably 50 times within the last month.  Users are getting irritated asking to reboot, sometimes multiple times to fix this issue.

• I am also experiencing this issue where Kaspersky is corrupting user profiles. I've only experienced this on 3 computers to date. all of which are Windows 7 computers. All of which are on Domain workgroups. I've had to create temporary profiles and copied the entire profile overwritting the original profile, restarting and then it was resolved.

KAV v 6.0.4.1424

*my profile over write process does not seem to work every time. especially since the administrator account is doing the same thing as this 1.

attempting above post repair.

*my profile over write process does not seem to work every time. especially since the administrator account is doing the same thing as this 1. attempting above post repair.
    [edited by: johnathan at 7:04 AM (GMT -7) on Sep 23, 2013]
  • I have the exact same problem here.

Even on the Kaspersky Forum there is no response.

forum.kaspersky.com/index.php

I really hate it when they leave us in the dark.

We are selling their product. They should at least give us a response.

Our solution that works for now is the following:

We change the following RegKey:

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\SubSystems\Windows"

And set it to the following value:

For Windows 7 x64:

"%SystemRoot%\system32\csrss.exe ObjectDirectory=\Windows SharedSection=1024,20480,2048 Windows=On SubSystemType=Windows ServerDll=basesrv,1 ServerDll=winsrv:UserServerDllInitialization,3 ServerDll=winsrv:ConServerDllInitialization,2 ServerDll=sxssrv,4 ProfileControl=Off MaxRequestThreads=16"

For Windows 7 x32:

"%SystemRoot%\system32\csrss.exe ObjectDirectory=\Windows SharedSection=1024,12288,1024 Windows=On SubSystemType=Windows ServerDll=basesrv,1 ServerDll=winsrv:UserServerDllInitialization,3 ServerDll=winsrv:ConServerDllInitialization,2 ServerDll=sxssrv,4 ProfileControl=Off MaxRequestThreads=16"

The third value of the SharedSection in the value is the most important one.

For now it seams to solve the problem.

We can even leave Anti-Spy turned on in KAV.