Kaseya Community

KAV and Servers - what is the deal?

• I've been getting a few tickets about this.  There is an official response coming soon...here's the rest of the story.

We currently use Kaspersky Antivirus 2010, a workstation product.  This product (out of the box) doesn't install on Windows Server 2000, 2003, or 2008...basically any OS name with server in it, it blocks.  Many of our customers use a windows server doubling as a workstation (i.e.  the secretary who is running SBS).  We didn't want to exclude workstation functionality from those environments (web checking, mail checking, etc.) so Kaspersky proposed unlocking the KAV 2010 product to be installable on the server OSes.  During the beta cycle, we allowed these installs.  What we found was a very small percentage of those installs (~1% - usually VMs) would blue screen on install.  The problem is that they would really crash and in a few cases, require rebuild.

We wrestled with messaging on how to help folks to 'install cautiously", but frankly....after lots of conversations with our MVPs and beta group, we opted to just disallow it completely.  (Not sure how often you tried to message the idea that "this may screw up your system"....it just never can be worded in a way that will sit well with people   :)  ).

One of the hotfixes we released disabled that functionality (server install).  Any server already installed still is managed.

We are working with Kaspersky on getting the official file server edition

Questions I get

- I already installed on my server.  Should i uninstall?             No...if everything is fine, then it will continue to be fine.  The problem happened on install.

- How do I manage the server if i installed it previously?        Same way as the others - no change.

- When will you have the official file server edition?         Working on it...I'll have a beta / release this quarter.  In the meantime, we do have AVG/KES to work with.

-  What is the difference between the file server edition and the workstation edition?   In the file server edition, it ONLY has on access scanning.  The drivers are optimized for high performance AND it has the backing and testing of Kaspersky behind it.   Its a bit more expensive than what we have today...but I'm thinking that folks will understand the higher reliability comes with a bit more of a price (different scenario than what we did with AVG)

- Is it possible to still install the workstation edition on servers and have it be managed?    Funny you should ask that....I do have a workaround...that I can post in a forum...but officially, its not something we can support.  The thing is that IF it installs (again...99% of the time, no problem), then all is well.  For those environments where you need the extras...this may be a worthwhile test.    All but one of the machines that I heard about having problems were virtual machines.

Jeff

[edited by: Jeff Keyes (Kaseya) at 10:53 AM (GMT -8) on 1-19-2011] edited
  • Jeff

Will the server version have any exchange mailbox scanning or spam filtering comming out soon or considered in the future releases?

grant

• just a note to say cheers for the info.  Getting these sorts of posts is very important for the community and in so many cases we are just left in the dark.  for good or for bad we can now plan what we are going to do for the next few months. Thanks.

• Thanks for the info, Jeff!

• Exchange Server is coming...might make it into Q1 (KAV 1.1) but for sure by Q2.

• When will be KAV will be available for Windows 2003 and Windows 2008 Servers.

• The file server edition will work on

* Windows 2000 Server/Advanced Server (SP4 and higher)

* Windows Server 2003 Web/Standard/Enterprise Edition (SP2 and higher)

* Windows Server 2003 x64 Web/Standard/Enterprise Edition (SP2 and higher)

* Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard/Enterprise Edition

* Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 Standard/Enterprise Edition

* Windows Server 2008 Standard/Enterprise (SP1 and higher)

* Windows Server 2008 x64 Standard/Enterprise (SP1 and higher)

* Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard/Enterprise Edition

* Windows Small Business Server 2003

* Windows Small Business Server 2008

* Windows Essential Business Server 2008

usa.kaspersky.com/.../security-for-file-servers

usa.kaspersky.com/.../anti-virus-for-windows-server

Jeff

• Need to know when, not what please.

• Server support is under development now for version 1.1 and I'll be able to give you an updated timeline once it makes it to QA.  

• Jeff Keyes (Kaseya)

- Is it possible to still install the workstation edition on servers and have it be managed?    Funny you should ask that....I do have a workaround...that I can post in a forum...but officially, its not something we can support.  The thing is that IF it installs (again...99% of the time, no problem), then all is well.  For those environments where you need the extras...this may be a worthwhile test.    All but one of the machines that I heard about having problems were virtual machines.

Has this workaround been posted?  We had been deploying this successfully (on physical machines) without any issues, and would be interested in continuing with the workaround.

• Hey Guys, just a quick update.  We had a few of the "workarounds" fail spectacularly on servers (if it works, it works fine--when it doesn't it's ugly and immediate) so I'm going to say that if you've already got it running without issue, you're fine and if you're thinking about trying it--hold off until formal server support is available.

• I guess server version didnt make it to 1.1 as we are still unable to install it on servers.

When is it coming out?

If we install AVG are going to be stack with the license or it will go back to the pool when we uninstall it?

• Hi Alex.  We are waiting on Kaspersky to deliver some necessary code modifications and based on their delay, I would expect the Server release to hit the streets early to mid Q3.  I'll be able to provide a better estimate after we receive their code.  

Regarding your second question--I apologize--but I'm not sure I undersand what you're asking.  Feel free to email me directly at jeff.keller@kaseya.com if you'd like.

• So is the expected release still for early to mid Q3?

• Yes.  Here's another thread on KAV 1.2 which will probably get more traction: community.kaseya.com/.../12049.aspx