Kaseya Community

ConnectWise Ticketing API support

• I believe that both connectwise & kaseya have there strong points and weaknesses.

as a client of both companies, we should be allowed to choose which feature sets are best to us.

If the twocompanies don't want to work together, then as a solution provider, we will be faced with decisions that could be painful, where does are solutions lie.

what is the relationship between connectwise & kaseya?

Thriving or non existing?

/ Craig

Legacy Forum Name: Ticketing Tab,
    Legacy Posted By Username: surfninjauk
  • I agree. Kaseya needs to consider their strategy on this because both products are awesome, both are best of breed, but if it came down to having to decide between ConnectWise and Kaseya I'm pretty sure I know who would win ... Where's that Zenith business card again?

Legacy Posted By Username: sputnam
  • I would hate to have to make decisions like that.

I do however, really like the financial integration between connectwise / quickbooks and the quotewerks / connectwise module..

connectwise was using kaseya to monitor my connectwise installation, one of the reasons I even considered using kaseya in the first place.

Only time will tell.

/ Craig

PS. when you find that business card, share the knowledge.

Legacy Posted By Username: surfninjauk
  • From what I understand Connectwise is no longer using kaseya to manage the servers.

I may be wrong on that but I believe that is they said when someone asked how to get another agent for them to monitor.

I think they are pushing LPI or Zenith.

Legacy Posted By Username: rage
  • rage wrote:
    From what I understand Connectwise is no longer using kaseya to manage the servers.

I may be wrong on that but I believe that is they said when someone asked how to get another agent for them to monitor.

I think they are pushing LPI or Zenith.

I have also heard this and it makes me VERY concerned. I don't think we could ever migrate off of Connectwise. Nothing out there doesn't even come close. BY A LONG SHOT.

Legacy Posted By Username: far182
  • I've heard that there was/is a dispute API access, namely Kaseya's closed API set.

We would never leave Connectwise at this stage of the game.

As an organized group we can helpfacilitate the communication between these twocompanies. I think this would be more effective than the spotty communication over this forum.

We need to get organized and let them know what we want. Anyone interested in talking?

Legacy Posted By Username: jauerbach01
  • jauerbach01 wrote:
    I've heard that there was/is a dispute API access, namely Kaseya's closed API set.

We would never leave Connectwise at this stage of the game.

As an organized group we can helpfacilitate the communication between these twocompanies. I think this would be more effective than the spotty communication over this forum.

We need to get organized and let them know what we want. Anyone interested in talking?

Here is my vote for a close partnership between Kaseya and Connectwise.

FYI. Kaseya 5.0 is due this year. Who wants to bet that Connectwise will stop supporting the integration between the two. I would be in a world of pain if this happens.

• I would love to have better integration. Do I think it will happen, I have doubts. As Kaseya seems to be building thier own ticketing and ConnectWise seems to be going away from Kaseya it may get further and further from reality.

Another concern is that All over this forum people have asked for better reporting in Kaseya, well 4.8 released and there is no better reporting. I can barely tell any differences. Oh...except the KES that seems to be having problems.

That said, hereis some noise for the integration of the 2!

Legacy Posted By Username: rage
  • I mean, don't get me wrong. If Kaseya had a product like Connectwise that was integrated it would be hot. Also, I think Kaseya has some of the most talented staff.

But to compete with Connectwise? I have no idea if that is what Kaseya intends todo, but I think Connectwise believes this to be so. I am REALLY happy with Connectwise. It is a product that has matured over 15 years and I really think it would take a very long time for anyone (even Kaseya) to really compete with it.

Personally, I would prefer if they just partnered strong and gave us tight integration. It's fine that they are seperate products.

Thats just my 2c.

• It's my understanding that Kaseya is planning on releasing their own API later this year. When that happens anyone will be able to write an integration piece between K and CW. With both products being so popular, whose to say that someone won't commercialize and sell something like this?

Chris

Legacy Posted By Username: cleach2637
  • The API is one of the best things in our future. It is the perfect solution (technically), and Kaseya is right on the mark with making this happen.

But I believe a stronger partnership will take more than just an API.

Again, this is just my 2c.

• Oh I'm with you guys on this one. Once upon a time I believe that up to 60% of Kaseya's partners were also CW partners. It seems to me that both companies would benefit from tighter integration, as their market position would be boosted even further.

Has anyone discussed this issue with Arnie B?

Chris

Legacy Posted By Username: cleach2637
  • Dunno if any of you did, but I went to the Kaseya User Summit back in April. I'm certainly not Kaseya nor am I ConnectWise so I can't speak DIRECTLY for either of them, but from conversations along the way, here's what I have found and what I believe to be true.

Know also that I am NOT a CW user.

First, Kaseya currently has no real API. However, Kaseya is built on an MS SQL database so ANYTHING that can access an SQL database can access the data in Kaseya. My understanding is that this is exactly what ConnectWise had to do when they came out with their integration - read data directly from (and to) the SQL database. If you're a programmer (as I am), it isn't exactly difficult. The big PROBLEM, though, is that as Kaseya changes, there's no guarantee that the database structure will remain the same - which means that anything written to work with Kaseya's database directly could easily fail with an update to Kaseya.

Second, there currently exists a bunch of SQL database views that are available for use by any application that can read the SQL database. This provides fairly safe ways of viewing information, but you DO need to do SQL database access and there's no way of CHANGING information within Kaseya. Of course, there's no guarantee that these views won't change with future releases/updates of Kaseya, either, which may also cause something written using the views to break.

Third, Kaseya is planning on coming out with a true API. My understanding is that it will be an SOA - basically .NET style web services. It isn't out yet, of course, and I'm not Kaseya, of course, so it could be anything - but that was my understanding of what is due to come. The theory is that the underlying data structure would be able to change without changing the interface, so if the data structure changes, it won't necessarily break an integration. In theory.

Fourth, the rumor is that Kaseya wasn't a huge help in integrating CW; my understanding is that CW was forced to do direct database access because Kaseya provided nothing else.

Fifth, that hasn't changed. Kaseya isn't stopping CW from doing anything. They're planning on coming out with the "real" API's sometime later this year or early next (and my understanding is that API's will be added as time goes on - though again, I'm not Kaseya so I can't speak for them and certainly, what was said in April my very well change by release time). Kaseya would certainly love to have CW have tight integration. But until the API's are out, Kaseya isn't doing anything to make that happen.

Sixth, Kaseya is trying to sell worldwide.

Seven, CW isn't. CW sells mainly to the US, though I recently heard someone say they sold elsewhere (Canada, I believe). But if you're in the Tampa area and a competitor to CW's consulting business, they won't sell to you.

Eight, Kaseya is planning on adding a bunch of CW-like features to their product over the next couple of years. For a total end result, it makes sense. For one thing, to hear Kaseya describe it, Kaseya already tracks and manages machines. What about users? Certainly, there's a lot of useful information to be had when dealing with both the machines and who's using them. So Kaseya plans on having some sort of user management. What it will be, I have no idea. Will it be a full CRM like CW? Who knows. They're also planning financials - because we all have to bill for doing work. If you've already got the machine information tickets created, then it only makes sense to figure out how long it is taking to work on issues and to also bill based on the machines and/or users. Yes, CW has some integration there already which makes this a bit easier... so yeah, there's some overlap there.

Nine, CW isn't cheap. I'd love to use it but frankly, for my one-person business, I just can't afford it. It would cost me well over $400 a month for the first year and then over $600 a month for the second and subsequent years (with maintenance thrown in). Yes, Kaseya costs me in that vicinity - but that's something that is DIRECTLY making me income; CW is only really a back-end sort of thing that at best can save me some time on billing. Well, there are lots of other people in the same boat as me... and according to Kaseya, they're planning on having their add-ons be less than CW. Will it? Or will they get as greedy as they seem to be getting? Who knows.

Ten, Kaseya knows that the rumors of them going up against CW is going to tick off CW and many of their users. But what Kaseya has to lose is some support from CW and possibly the loss of some CW users to rival platforms. What they have to gain, however, is all of those MSP's out there that - like myself- can't afford CW. And those that can't buy it, like everyone in India, Australia, the UK, etc. - places where Kaseya is trying to grow. And Tampa, Florida.

Would CW be smart to drop integration with Kaseya? I don't think so. It is a bit of a question of Arnie's ego versus his business sense - knowing that he will probably not LOSE any existing customers to a Kaseya product that's similar. CW is going to be way ahead of what Kaseya can do probably for quite some time to come. It simply wouldn't make sense for CW to not continue to integrate with Kaseya - and probably to try to integrate BETTER.

I don't think Kaseya is necessarily making a mistake doing what they're planning on doing.

What I think IS going to kill them is their own greed. They've raised prices SIGNIFICANTLY over the past several years, the add-on products are just way too expensive (KES), and they seem less willing to work with people than they used to when they were a starving company. Myself, I'm running low on remaining licenses and frankly, am looking at alternatives rather than thinking about buying more licenses. Kaseya's greedy position is that I should charge more so I can give them more money. Yet they're ignoring the fact that the alternatives are coming DOWN in price and are starting to allow me to provide the same or better service for less money.

I was actually quite surprised to speak to another MSP (who's also posted on this forum often) who bought in around the same time that I did and who I thought was a big Kaseya supporter - who said that he's probably not going to be buying any more Kaseya licenses and is looking at alternatives himself.

I think THAT sort of attitude - and not any issues with CW - are what's going to be Kaseya's downfall.

Legacy Posted By Username: warever
  • I was talking to someone at ConnectWise a couplea few monthsago. They were supposely moving the servers only to Zenith. It was a costs thing from what I was told. When I expressed concern about integration with Kaseya they didn't know of any intents to remove or drop it.

Legacy Posted By Username: connectex
  • I think part of the confusion comes from the fact that "ConnectWise" actually means several things.

First, it is the name of a piece of software - called "PSA" software - that is designed for solution providers to manage their businesses.

Second, it is the name of the company that makes the software.

Third, that same company is a solution provider just like the rest of us in the Tampa area.

So if someone says that "ConnectWise" is no longer using Kaseya, what they PROBABLY mean is that the SOLUTION PROVIDER is not using Kaseya to manage their own customers. It does NOT necessarily mean that their PSA PRODUCT is no longer going to be integrated with Kaseya.

Legacy Posted By Username: warever