Kaseya Community

Visio Diagrams

• Is there a way to use or include Kaseya data from audits in Visio Diagrams?

Legacy Forum Name: Visio Diagrams,
    Legacy Posted By Username: PITG
  • I got this to work using visio 2003 - there is a database import deal, and you can import one from the kaseya db views that are available. You can do field mappings that make the the objects in visio contain the info from kaseya.

With a little coding it probably wouldn't be hard to have a single visio diagram that has office icons for each of your main machine groups, then you could click down into them and view a diagram of the network with correct and up to date IP info, etc.

That doesn't seem to be of that much use by itself to me though(since you can view the same info in kaseya), so I guess to make it worthwhile you would need to add additional documentation into your visio diagrams that kaseya doesn't capture.

Legacy Forum Name: Reports,
    Legacy Posted By Username: expertcomp
  • I am definitely interested to hear if anyone has a way of producing a basic topolgy map from the Kaseya data.

Cheers, Ian

Legacy Posted By Username: TechOnline
  • Again, the method to produce a "basic topology map" is included with visio 2003

Go to Tools, Add-ons, Visio extras, Database wizard will get you shapes with your machine info into visio.

I am assuming you know enough to know how to connect to a SQL server database (the kserver's) and have enough knowledge/sense to know which tables in the kaseya database to pull the data from.

My previous post was asking - ok , so you have a diagram with a bunch of computer icons on it, that has the same info that you can get by logging into kaseya - what next?

Legacy Posted By Username: expertcomp
  • Can you send me an example what you have made in Visio and how it looks ? Pintscreen ?

Thanks

Richard Daemen

Daemen ICT Kaseya MSP

Legacy Posted By Username: daemenict
  • I would also be interested in looking at some of those Visio diagrams as well.

Legacy Posted By Username: jkoch
  • Visio.JPG
    I just started playing with this today, but I've attached a screenshot of what could be created by using that Database Wizard in Visio 2003. Instead of linking directly to the database, I simply exported my machine data to an Excel file, which can be linked to to get the data.

I will post more when I get it to look better. The key here is that you can create a Visio diagram that has all the machine names, IP addresses, manufacturer, etc. already in the file without having to key in the information. That would be slick.

Legacy Posted By Username: vplaza
  • I played with Visio and the Database Wizard a little more and got this. Looks better. I can see where a visual representation of a customer's network might be useful, if nothing more than a sales and marketing tool.

It wasn't too difficult to get this, but it isn't necessarily a single click of a button either.

• Would you be willing to share what steps you took to create this?

Thanks!!

Legacy Posted By Username: billmccl
  • There are a number of steps involved in taking Kaseya data and creating a Visio diagram, and the following outlines the general steps and concepts needed..

1. The data that you need resides in Kaseya.
    2. Visio cannot read the Kaseya data directly, so you need to export the data from Kaseya and import it into a format that Visio can read, in this case, a Microsoft Access database.
    3. Before Visio can read the data in Access, you use the "Database Wizard" in Visio to create the links between shapes and the Access database. You use the "Link shapes to database records" selection in the wizard. This is probably the trickiest part, but is not overly complicated. But the result should be that you have modified stencils that have shapes with links to the Access database.
    4. After you have the stencils ready, you use the "Database Wizard" again, this time to actually put the shapes on a drawing. You use the "Create a linked drawing or modify an existing one" selection in the wizard.
    5. Once you’ve created the shapes in the Visio drawing using the “Database Wizard”, you run the “Label Shapes” Add-On and select the fields you want to show with each shape (maximum of four fields).

These are only the general steps and there multiple steps in each one and you can have different variations (such as if you want to link certain shaps to certain data, you could create queries in Access and link certain shapes, such as servers, to a query called "Servers" in Access). After you save your modified stencils, you shouldn't need to do step 3 above. You would simply use them in step 4.

Good luck!

• What's the easiest way to export the machine data to a spreadsheet/database from Kaseya?

Is there an easy way to export LanWatch info to include all IPs/devices found on the network rather than merely the ones with an agent installed?

Legacy Posted By Username: kentschu
  • I simply used the Aggregate Table report, moved all the fields to the "Displayed" side, and exported it into Excel. From there, it's a snap to import into Access.

• By the way, to clarify, Visio can indeed connect directly to the SQL Server to access Kaseya data. I'm not sure how to filter without actually creating views on SQL itself, but I've definitely connected using the DB wizard and pulled the hundreds of vMachine computer entries as Visio objects. These are live links to the database.

I'm just not sure what to do with them now. Need to figure out filtering or setup views to filter per customer, i guess. Visio doesn't appear to easily allow that type of filtering manipulation like Excel does via MS Query. But I could be wrong.

• Yes, that is correct. In our case, the KServer and DB server are in our data center and not local to me. Rather than try to use a VPN to try to connect Visio directly to the db, and since these drawings are really going to be static anyway, exporting to Excel then Access was my choice.

• Here is an interesting item:

Our Kaseya home page says that we have 320 agents under management, while the database export to Excel shows only 296 entries in vMachine table.

Why does Kaseya think there are 24 extra systems under management if they don't show up in vMachine?