Kaseya Community

New Reporting Templates + Show text file content

This question is answered

I have to admit that the new reporting in 6.3 looks very nice but is also very complicated like with all new things when you first start off.

I want to some how show information I gathered with audit scripts that I wrote (e.g.: Top 5 mailboxes), my initial idea for this is to put this information in the Agent Procedure log and then to display it in the report. Alternatives would be to store this information into custom fields but that would be such a big waste for all the other machines that are not exchange servers.

Showing the contents of a text file in a report could have other benefits like;

• Storage controller / RAID Array status
  • Defragmentation / Check Disk status
  • any other CLI output etc... 

Wondered if anybody has done this yet that is willing to share how this is done or if it is even possible to do in the first place.

Thanks

Verified Answer
  • I ended up using custom Eventlog events and a Eventlog report parts. You might be able to use Agent Procedure Logs to however they are not as easy to filter as Eventlog Events.

(Eventlog events can be filtered by Event Log, ID, Source, Category, Time and Description and Procedure logs can only be filtered Procedure Name, Admin name that executed the procedure, Time and Description.)

I also didn't use the inbuilt procedure command to create event logs as it was to limiting. I can now report on the following;

- Exchange Mailbox Size

- RAID Controller Status

- CheckDisk Status

- Defrag Status

and more and I used the findstr command with filter files I made to reduce the content the last 3 of the above listed options to reduce the length and content.

I also figured out how I can reduce the number of events shown in a report by using the Win32_LocalTime WeekoftheMonth WMI value to change the first digit of the Event ID and then scheduling the Audit Procedure to run once a week.

I then template and duplicate my report for each week of the month and change the Event ID filters in the report parts to match the week.

All Replies
  • Hello HardKnox,

I have exactly the same story. Like to write something to text and show it into a report part.

For know I have a workaround: Writing a value into a custom field.

• Custom fields are an option but personally I prefer to only use them for storing information that could exist across the majority of machines. Storing some like top 5 mailboxes in a custom field would be wasted on machines that do not have exchange installed. So for now that will be my backup plan

Had another idea about that, I don't like creating custom Event logs entries for monitoring however it might actually be of some use for reporting as the new eventlog reporting part is pretty awesome from what I have seen.

One potential problem could be the alignment of row and columns if you put something like a table into eventlog. Will have to play with it and see if I can get that to work.

• Yup thats true. Having the same problem. Also dont like to create custom eventlogs. Can you tell me something about the eventlog reporting part?

But i'm affraid there are no more options available at the moment.

Mabye you can do something with log monitoring. Don't have experience with that but we can start a test with that. Because there is a way to show a logvalue into a report.

So the baseline could be:

Run script writing down the values into a text file -> create logfile parser -> create report part that shows that monitor set.

• I am also looking for this same option, I have a vbs that creates a txt file, I want to have kaseya produce a report based on the information in the txt file.

Anyone find a lead to this?

--Jim

• I ended up using custom Eventlog events and a Eventlog report parts. You might be able to use Agent Procedure Logs to however they are not as easy to filter as Eventlog Events.

(Eventlog events can be filtered by Event Log, ID, Source, Category, Time and Description and Procedure logs can only be filtered Procedure Name, Admin name that executed the procedure, Time and Description.)

I also didn't use the inbuilt procedure command to create event logs as it was to limiting. I can now report on the following;

- Exchange Mailbox Size

- RAID Controller Status

- CheckDisk Status

- Defrag Status

and more and I used the findstr command with filter files I made to reduce the content the last 3 of the above listed options to reduce the length and content.

I also figured out how I can reduce the number of events shown in a report by using the Win32_LocalTime WeekoftheMonth WMI value to change the first digit of the Event ID and then scheduling the Audit Procedure to run once a week.

I then template and duplicate my report for each week of the month and change the Event ID filters in the report parts to match the week.