Kaseya Community

Creating a report to include non-kaseya backups

This question is answered

We've just moved over from GFI MAX RemoteManagement which had some handy ready made weekly client reports which would include a easy-to-read summary of the past 7 days. I understand that the executive report that comes with Kaseya would handle most of these, however it only seems to include options for Kaseya's own backups which in our case shows NA.

I was hoping we would somehow be able to add in a section that would look at the results over the past 7 days and tally up how many failures/successes we had. Just as an example is the GFI weekly report below:

Verified Answer
  • Create an eventset that monitors the specific application log events for each backup product..

e.g.

NTBackup writes an eventid 8019 for a successful backup

SBS writes a 4 or 5633

Backup Exec writes a 34112 etc.

Then have the Event set on detecting any of these events run a script that adds a script log entry.

There is a step in the Script editor called "Write Procedure Log Entry"

Then in your exec summary report in the Report Parameters / System Activity Tab add a new entry , set the row type to “Script Log”  , in the Procedure field select the script you are calling from your event set and then in the Search filter enter *success*

This will now add a row to your exec summary with the number of Successful backups detected in the reporting period

Cheers

Paul

All Replies
  • It's quite easy to include stats re backup success/failure etc from any backup product into the Exec Summary reports.

It is just a matter of having the backup application , be it Backup Exec , ArcServe, NT Backup etc , write an entry in the the machines Agent Procedure log.

Once the entry is in there the Exec Summary can include a a section that shows the count of how many success , or failed backups occured

Regards

Paul

• Paul,

Thanks for your reply. How would I go about getting NTBackup/Backup Exec/SBS Backup to write to the Agent logs? We're quite new to this!

• Create an eventset that monitors the specific application log events for each backup product..

e.g.

NTBackup writes an eventid 8019 for a successful backup

SBS writes a 4 or 5633

Backup Exec writes a 34112 etc.

Then have the Event set on detecting any of these events run a script that adds a script log entry.

There is a step in the Script editor called "Write Procedure Log Entry"

Then in your exec summary report in the Report Parameters / System Activity Tab add a new entry , set the row type to “Script Log”  , in the Procedure field select the script you are calling from your event set and then in the Search filter enter *success*

This will now add a row to your exec summary with the number of Successful backups detected in the reporting period

Cheers

Paul

• Paul,

That's great thanks! I've put it all into Kaseya now and will give it a few days for testing.

Again, many thanks for your help!

Regards,

Martin

• No problem . Just drop me a message if you get stuck