Kaseya Community

How to add custom field to alert

This question has suggested answer(s)

Often alerts from servers raise question how is it impacting users.  I added a Custom Field "Description" so I can add server description.  Next step, I would like to add Server Description to the alerts we receive for...say Disk Space.

I looked at the available variable, I don't see how to add Custom Field information from the server record.

Anyone know if this is possible?

Thank you in advance!

All Replies
  • getVariable  SQL VIEW DATA vSystemInfoManual/YOUR_CUSTOM_FIELD_NAME_HERE

I use this to store data pulled from a custom field that I then use to populate registry entries - What I basically do is run a powershell script that gets the client's Office 365 Tenant ID - I store this in a Custom Field and also update Azure AD with it - so I have it stored in 2 places. Then, I implement Microsoft with SSO One Drive, Office etc.. which requires the tenant ID in the registry entries.. I simply pull this from the Custom Field I created and populated earlier.. I am quite sure you can use the same procedure but send an alert instead... 

:)

edited for clarity
    [edited by: d.styles at 5:42 AM (GMT -7) on Oct 21, 2019]
  • Thanks, sounds your example is on the right track to what I am trying to accomplish.  So lets say Kaseya is sending alert for "ServerA".

What code would I add to the body of the alert email to pull the "ServerA" custom field "Description"?

• The simple answer is;

#vSystemInfoManual.yourCustomFieldName#.

This will contain the data in your custom field... it can be used in a sendEmail step, as the body of the email.

You may want to include something like #vAgentConfiguration.machName# in the Subject line so you know what machine name its coming from.

You can find a list of hidden DB variables here;

help.kaseya.com/.../9050000

Kirk...

• Kirk, Thank you for the info.  I am testing.

• Just tested Event Log Alert. I added the following lines to the Windows Event Log alerts email body

Description: #vSystemInfoManual.Description#
    Server Name: #vAgentConfiguration.machName#

When I received an alert after resting my test server I see the following

Description: #vSystemInfoManual.Description#
    Server Name: #vAgentConfiguration.machName#

It appears that the code was picked up as a variable.  Any suggestions?

• I assume you're placing these in the alert email body defined by the "Format Email" page? That's how an alert is triggered, sending an alarm, ticket, or email.

I'm not sure that you can embed those variables there, as these have specific "macros" that are supported. The variables are available when you use the sendEmail() function in an agent procedure. You could use the monitor to run a script that embeds the data and sends the email either back to VSA or to your PSA. Personally, I think that's quite a convoluted process. If you do this, then the monitor should execute the script action only, otherwise you'll have duplicate events if you email back to VSA. The Email to VSA will turn into a ticket.

Our RMM Suite product includes an Intelligent Ticket Processing app (Windows Service) that interfaces between VSA and your PSA using alarms (or tickets). This process has the ability to insert messages into the ticket body before delivery to the PSA. Both common and event-specific messages can be inserted, and messages can contain macros that represent ticket data (about 20 data elements) or up to 10 Custom Fields (any, defined by name). You can see the available data elements in our ITP Operations Guide on our website.

Glenn

• The alert is triggered by specific System Event Log Event ID's.  With at least two other enterprise monitoring tools from the past, I was able to include variables from the server record so the notification is more meaningful.  I expected Kaseya would have a similar simple approach.  

Thank you for your time to explain!

• YES, fields can be added to Alerts and its very simple. Its just a reference to a table and field for a particular machine.  So this opens up limitless opportunities for pulling information into an alert to make it more meaningful.

For my custom field Description, I added

Description: <db-vSystemInfoManual.Description>

References below: