Kaseya Community

Agent Deployment - VPN

This question has suggested answer(s)

We have run into the issue of deploying to VPN users in a pandemic. Has anyone found a quick way to deploy to these users at home, besides manually contacting each user at home? We are thinking about mass installing through Live Connect or remote tools like Anydesk for Admin access but if anyone has found any solid workarounds that would be very helpful to our organization.

All Replies
  • Yes! It took me a little bit to puzzle out how to do this for our environment.  Most of our stuff is installed from a network share which is only available when you are connected to the VPN. So, what you do is go to agent procedures --> schedule/create.  Then you'll need to click on something like my procedures so you get the options at the top for manage files.

You will want to upload any files into the shared folder that pertain to the VPN that you are trying to install.

In my case, I needed the MSI and two registry keys.

Once those are uploaded, you will want to create an agent procedure where you copy the file from Kaseya to the machine, and then run it.  It's a little odd, but take a look at how I did it.

If you want to make it a little fancier, you can have it check to see if the software is already installed by looking for a file, or seeing if the app is running and stopping it, or something like that, but if you just want it installed, this is going to work.  You can send this to everyone, you can create a list view of computers that report not having it installed (I often find those to be outdated) but you can totally do it that way.

I am here to answer any questions.

Fixed the pictures that didn't come through the first time.
    [edited by: bbawden at 10:52 AM (GMT -8) on Jan 19, 2021]
  • You could use Kaseya VSA and the Agent Procedures/File Transfer/Distribute File to get .msi, executables, batch files or whatever deployed to local harddrives of machines that already have the Kaseya RMM installed.  After that you could either provide instructions to end users to run the installer, or create an Agent procedure to run the file on each system.

• Depends on your VPN client.  For mine, I have a procedure to download the VPN client from the web, install it, then copy the config files from VSA "distribute files" and run powershell scripts to get it up.

It's a bit tricky at best.

It's better to do a download from the web in the procedure, if possible, because sending from the VSA is painfully slow. It's ok for files that are only a few KB or a few hundred KB, but once you start getting over 1MB, it can take much longer than it seems like it should.

• Our VPN client is 29MB and we don't have any issues with it taking long periods of time to download to the client and run. (It is downloading from Kaseya and then running locally)

I do agree with eric however that if your VPN has a stable link to download from that is a completely valid alternative.

• Have any of you had issues with UAC prompting for admin credentials? Maybe we are focusing on the wrong install file. We just need it to run for the user without entering admin credentials.

Thank you all for your responses as well!! I am still going to speak with my team about these options you've provided.

• if you are given the option to run it as system that is my go to. If not install flags can sometimes help.

I honestly cannot remember what I have done what I have come up against UAC in the past, but if you do have the option of using an MSI, they are your best friend.

• This is one I use for OpenVPN:

You could use a direct web download instead of writing from VSAshared.

It all depends on the client you are using and how it accepts its config (file/registry, etc).

Win10 machines can add Windows VPN with PowerShell, but most I see elect to use a 3rd party client.