Kaseya Community

New Module - Ready for Beta

• We have passed through the rounds of Alpha testing and are ready for the first set of betas. Our preference is to trial these out on non-production servers and workstations, but that said, we know of a number of instances of this in production servers. (I'm more worried about the collectors at this point - the server stuff is pretty well isolated).

What is it? Installs on your K2 server and will sniff the network for all of the devices on it. It works in a similar fashion to LanWatch, only has a lot more power and ability to classify devices.

Webinar (recording)
    http://download.kaseya.com/components/networkdiscovery/jdp/jdp_firstlooks_networkdiscovery.wmv

Email me and I'll get you a download link

Jeff.Keyes@kaseya.com

Jeff

Legacy Forum Name: New Module - Ready for Beta,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Jeff.Keyes
  • Very exciting! It is nice to see that you are looking at competitors products and seeing what features can be incorporated and improved upon in Kaseya. Nmap scanning, SNMP walks, MRTG graphs and a federated architecture! Sounds like a very good foundation for some amazing modules... Big Smile

Still waiting on K2 but will be very interested in checking this out once we are upgraded!

Legacy Forum Name: Network Discovery,
    Legacy Posted By Username: jeremyj
  • sounds awesome Jeff

now if i can only get access to K2....Cool

Legacy Posted By Username: saybrook
  • Hey Jeff,

I tried to click on the link above to view the recording but it did not work.

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • It worked yesterday - it downloads the .wmv file rather than streaming over the net.

Just checked and it still works for me - try to downlaod 65MB .wmv file

Legacy Posted By Username: PeterS
  • Use IE to download the stream.

Email me to get up faster on K2.

Jeff.Keyes@kaseya.com

• Hi Jeff, I have recently being looking at n-able (mainly due to the appalling level of support we currently experiencing. I noticed that they are particularly strong on network monitoring and discovery.
    having watched the Network discovery webcast I was wondering if you intend to including sysloging in the offering

Regards

Legacy Posted By Username: geekyblowfish
  • It is in the plans - we are working on delivering a syslog server as part of the next steps of monitoring that will be built on top of the network discovery module. You can get a taste of what it will look like via the network discovery.

Collector = a software "rack space". This gives the ability to put a LOT more stuff on the network that can monitor, track, care and feeding, etc.

In the current version, we put out an open source package called mrtg on the collector. We then store the data gathered on that collector and call it up as needed to retrieve data, produce charts, etc. We do replicate a lot of data back to the server as well to solve some problems of availability and backup. Whenever you see a graphical chart, this is demonstrating that interaction.

We are working on putting lots more stuff out on the collector such as a syslog server. The syslog server gathers all of the events into a common store. With that piece plugged into the collector, we can then do more alerting, events, summarizations, etc.

Jeff

• My shop deals almost exclusively with SonicWall. I have enabled our head end SonicWall with SNMP and community of public. It shows that SNMP is enabled. I hit the scan now button but I do not see any interfaces, just ports. What I am doing wrong?

Legacy Posted By Username: VNET
  • More than likely you did not enable snmp on the port you are scanning to (probably the lan port). Go to the network menu and select interfaces. Then select configure for the interface you want. Make sure you then check of snmp under management so you can use that interface for management.

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • Exciting news about moving to a nmap mrtg system.

I am confused on why this would be considered a new module. This is a monitoring system correct? Meaning it should be included without additional charge. From the surface, it seems more like fixing a monitoring system that is long overdue for some fixing.

Just my 2c.

Legacy Posted By Username: far182
  • Jeff.Keyes
    What is it? Installs on your K2 server and will sniff the network for all of the devices on it.

That's great, but there are only a few devices on the same network as our K2 server... how does this help me with my client sites?

Legacy Posted By Username: GreyDuck
  • GreyDuck
    That's great, but there are only a few devices on the same network as our K2 server... how does this help me with my client sites?

No, no, no... Roll Eyes This module installed on your K2 server like BUDR, ServiceDesk, KUSM, KES, etc... It integrates into K2 allowing you to push out "beefy" Collector agents to your client's networks for scanning.

Legacy Posted By Username: CCDave
  • Heh. I figured as much, I was just poking fun at the vague phrasing. I forgot to throw a smiley in there... Smile

Legacy Posted By Username: GreyDuck
  • VNET
    My shop deals almost exclusively with SonicWall. I have enabled our head end SonicWall with SNMP and community of public. It shows that SNMP is enabled. I hit the scan now button but I do not see any interfaces, just ports. What I am doing wrong?

We have it working on several Sonicwall devices now. It seems to work quite well Smile

Legacy Posted By Username: droytrobb