Kaseya Community

Command line install of the VSA

This question is answered

I would like to write a Chef cookbook to automate the creation of a Kserver for the purpose of testing new patches, but I can't seem to locate a reference of the command line switches used with KInstall.exe to silently setup a new VSA.

With most enterprise software you can pass required setup information to installer via the command line.  Is it possible to automate the install of a VSA without an administrator needing to be present to click Next, Next, Next?

Verified Answer
  • , I would second what  is mentioning.

However, it seems like you already have a true option to clone by creating AMI's directly from your running instance, which is a great option to clone.

Testing a fresh install of a Kaseya would be a different use case then an upgrade install or patch of an existing server.

You can try to build out some procedures to patch/install a VSA, but it definitely would require some testing and figuring out some details.

I would recommend you run 'kinstall.exe /?' from the cmd prompt and check out some of the options we have available:

All Replies
  • Just taking guess never setup a VSA on-premise but have you tried KInstall.exe /s or KInstall.exe /S ?

• that may be part of the answer, but I really need a full reference so I can give the installer other information like the license code, the SQL SA password, the SSL certificate to use, and other pertinent information that is usually asked by the Kinstall.exe GUI.

• Is your kserver a vm? maybe cloning it or restoring a clone from backup might be easier.

And going a step further that process can be automated as well with most products like Veeam for example

• Thanks .  Everything lives in Amazon Web Services, so I could do something along those lines with cloned AMIs, but it wouldn't accomplish quite the same thing.  My goal is to be able to create a clean install of the most recent build of the kserver available to me.

• Kinstall is more of a pre-installer.  It does a bunch of checks, and then based on your licenses, presents you with options to install/update.    I do not see any way for this to be automated, nor is there really any reason to.  What is the purpose of having a "clean install" if that doesn't reflect your specific situation?

Trying to test patches without the stress of all the agents checking in and scripts running is not going to tell you much.

I would simply suggest that you clone your existing VM structure and use that to apply the patches if you are worried about them.       We don't do that for patching, but we do backup the VM before we do a main version upgrade, just in case it goes sideways.

• , I would second what  is mentioning.

However, it seems like you already have a true option to clone by creating AMI's directly from your running instance, which is a great option to clone.

Testing a fresh install of a Kaseya would be a different use case then an upgrade install or patch of an existing server.

You can try to build out some procedures to patch/install a VSA, but it definitely would require some testing and figuring out some details.

I would recommend you run 'kinstall.exe /?' from the cmd prompt and check out some of the options we have available:

• Thanks , I think that's what I was looking for.  I'll take a look at that when I have time to come back to this project.