Kaseya Community

VSA 6.5 Patching Process

This question is answered

Hey guys,

We've found since upgrading to VSA 6.5 the patching process is no longer automatic yet manual. After having spoken with a few people at Connect last week there have been a few issues regarding patching indicating if it fails you need to re-run the Kinstaller setup. We're trying to figure out downtime (I know the services will stop) and set up some maintenance windows as we've already been hit with the Java problem as confirmed in 6.5 Patch 11. Does anyone have any experience doing the manual patches, any problems, how long does it take and what to expect? 

Thanks!

Brian

Verified Answer
  • My company has a maintenance window every Wednesday night, so I can run the patch installs then. I personally don't like updating Kaseya manually, just because it is so important to how we do business.  Too big of an impact.  The patches have taken just a few minutes each time.  I always reapply the schema afterwards to clear out the weird things that I know will show up if I didn't.  The only problem I have is at the end of the update, I get an error popup about a service not starting.  Checking, it is always started and I have no problems (knock on wood).  All in all, 6.5 and the updates seem to be much more stable.   The future of the program seems bright except for the loss of RDP in the May release.    

All Replies
  • Yes, manual patching is horrid.

It typically takes about 5 minutes to run + the time to do a 'reapply schema' if required.

The most disturbing thing is when the patch completes, the GUI kinstall.exe just closes. No confirmation of success/fail...so you have no idea if the patch worked, or something crashed.

Worst design ever.

• Thanks for reporting all these bugs which gave me enough reason to stick to 6.3. @Middz not sure if this will help, just try and run "Initial Updates" on one of end point if that helps.

• My company has a maintenance window every Wednesday night, so I can run the patch installs then. I personally don't like updating Kaseya manually, just because it is so important to how we do business.  Too big of an impact.  The patches have taken just a few minutes each time.  I always reapply the schema afterwards to clear out the weird things that I know will show up if I didn't.  The only problem I have is at the end of the update, I get an error popup about a service not starting.  Checking, it is always started and I have no problems (knock on wood).  All in all, 6.5 and the updates seem to be much more stable.   The future of the program seems bright except for the loss of RDP in the May release.    

• Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback. Our upgrade from v6.3 to 6.5 went smoothly (as compared to every other ugprade which failed at some part in the Database tables) so I am thinking the patching process should be smoothed out. I liken the new patching method to Microsoft's software rollups (Exchange, SQL) and Service Packs where you're never going to want to automatically patch them rather control them in maintenance Windows. That said there should be some sort of informative UI showing the process and/or documentation pointing to log files in case there are problems.

I'll post how it goes since we are targeting this Friday evening.