Kaseya Community

Adding Admins, techs, etc. to the VSA from Active Directory account.

This question is answered

How does one go about creating a Master or tech role (or any role for that matter) in System--> User Security so that the accounts are tied to an AD account.  I see in where I mentioned to create users but I don't see how to add an AD user.

Thanks,

Chris Townsend

Verified Answer
  •  

First Name, Last Name, and Email are required. Does the AD Record have all of these fields?

I think those are the only mandatory requirements, but I could be forgetting one or two..

All Replies
  • Hi  

Start with the below articles, but I would recommend reviewing the information available in https://university.kaseya.com which is available at no cost.

https://helpdesk.kaseya.com/hc/en-gb/articles/229036688-Adding-VSA-users-from-Active-Directory

http://help.kaseya.com/webhelp/EN/kdis/9040000/#11066.htm

• Thanks for the assistance Nicolas but I think I am still missing something....

I used the information in the first link (we already have a probe installed) and I went to Policies-->Users.  I then selected an AD User.

Member User Policy:  Create VSA User.  Gave it Master and set to root.

BUt for some reason the user isn't showing up under SYSTEM-->User Security-->Users.  

Any ideas why this would be?

• Hi  

Did you apply the changes after setting the policy to "Create VSA User" and specifying the "Master" role? If you did not, you would be able to see that the "User Policies Status" column shows as modified and not applied:

If that is the case, just press "Apply Changes" button on this screen, which would kick off the domain Probe Status into "Processing".

If that doesn't create the user in System > Users page, there may be a requirement missing from the users you are trying to create from the Active Directory.

Check the Discovery > Administration > Audit Log page (pictured in this same screenshot) and see if there are any errors regarding user creation.

On another note, be wary of WHO you give 'Master' role/scope too, this is an unlimited role/scope that gives full access to all the functions in the system.

• I figured out why it failed the first time as the log said I was missing a first and last name, so I fixed that in AD and now get a different message:

Domain 'mydomain.com'; Agent 562723924806489, Message 'Error adding user mydomain.com/mytestadmin - Kaseya.Discovery.AD.KDSException: Failed to add User mydomain.com/mytestadmin.
       at Kaseya.Discovery.AD.VSA.User.Create(String password, String emailAddress, String firstName, String lastName, String roleName, String scopeName, String deptName, String samAccountName, Decimal deptId)'

Made a change to domain name to hide it
    [edited by: admiralct at 9:11 AM (GMT -8) on Feb 16, 2017]
  •  

First Name, Last Name, and Email are required. Does the AD Record have all of these fields?

I think those are the only mandatory requirements, but I could be forgetting one or two..

• That was it.  It required First and Last Name and email address.  The error didn't really specify but now I know.  Thanks Nicholas