Kaseya Community

powershell massive win opportunity for kaseya

• Hi,
    I've been looking at powershell to fill the role here and while the roadmap promises some unification, mouse driven automation with the clunky and limited scripting and the VSA WS api kaseya currently provides leave s a lot to be desired exposes littlle in the way of the abilty for moves/adds and changes.

as an MSP all of our clients have established segmented networks in RFC 1918 non-routable IP networks.

"fan out" scripting from a single remote point in that environment currently requires either direct login to a client network or site to site vpn but this is often not possible because of common IP address ranges

2nd hop scripting using WinRM is also an option here as well as (theoretically) RDP with using the alternateshell directive
    /n software alsom offers this with their ssh solution

My belief is that Kaseya scripting has a huge opportunity to complement and leverage existing technologies rather than compete with them.

the 2009 road map intends AD unification to present a single view od distinct unrelated AD domains(forests?) to manage them as one groups, established them and subgroups as distinct OU's

unification of data presentati0n and web driven batch action is a step forward, unification of system *addressability* name resolution/mapping with common tools via a interactive shell seems to be a feature in many threads that admins would find useful.

Powershell finally provides an opportunity to do this given the technological building blocks are now available in WinRM, ssh and pipeline object serialization over secure channels

if kaseya licenced/acquired and developed a posh object/pipeline serialzation broker in the VSa which offered addressability via group.agentname for powershell they and their clients could build a truly rich and flexible product

comments?

Bob Blanchett
    System Administrator ORbnet PL
    Melbourne, Australia.

Legacy Forum Name: powershell massive win opportunity for kaseya,
    Legacy Posted By Username: orbnet
  • I agree! I think having a Kaseya-based PSDrive in PoSH would allow all kinds of new scripting and management opportunities. Combining this with some of the reporting tools like PowerGadget, it also increases our ability to flexibly generate scheduled and ad-hoc reports. We would not only be able to report on information stored within the Kaseya database but also real-time reporting on the managed agents.

It would also improve my ability to create multi-faceted self-healing scripts that respond to alerts, fix the problem and report the problem in an easily consumable way.

Michael

Legacy Forum Name: Virtual Systems Administrator Core Functionality,
    Legacy Posted By Username: RCS-Michael
  • You've got my vote. We write everything in PowerShell as it is. Kaseya integration to PowerShell would raise it head and shoulders over its competition.

Legacy Posted By Username: ttroyer@emaple.net
  • reporting using exported data using the interactive dialogs is one way..
    currently you can consume and process XML datasets from Kaseya in one of two ways:

1. data from the VSA webservice
    2. query based XML extraction from the SQL views defined in VSA

reports are good, but whats needed is an actuals vs policy comparison to operate by exception kaseya can't do that right now so you have to program it yourself.

[QUOTE=RCS-Michael;39306]I agree! I think having a Kaseya-based PSDrive in PoSH would allow all kinds of new scripting and management opportunities. Combining this with some of the reporting tools like PowerGadget, it also increases our ability to flexibly generate scheduled and ad-hoc reports. We would not only be able to report on information stored within the Kaseya database but also real-time reporting on the managed agents.

It would also improve my ability to create multi-faceted self-healing scripts that respond to alerts, fix the problem and report the problem in an easily consumable way.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Legacy Posted By Username: orbnet
  • I am all about a little PowerShell integration as well (even better if they changed their 'scripting engine' to use PowerShell). I have been working some with connecting PowerShell to Kaseya via the web API, but the hard requirements on how the data is formated has prevented me from getting very far as yet. Unfortunately I am not a developer, so I have a very limited understanding of exactly what Kaseya wants making it difficult to create it from PowerShell.

If someone has a resource or examples of well formed queries and posts that Kaseya likes, and if they would be willing to share, I could get a lot further. Regardless, I am presently working on building a PowerShell Module that I will be happy to share with all once I get it far enough along to be useful. If there are others who want to work together with me on this project, please reach out to me and perhaps we can set up a CodePlex project or something. My email is - chris.whitfield@paranet.com

orbnet
    reporting using exported data using the interactive dialogs is one way..
    currently you can consume and process XML datasets from Kaseya in one of two ways:

1. data from the VSA webservice
    2. query based XML extraction from the SQL views defined in VSA

reports are good, but whats needed is an actuals vs policy comparison to operate by exception kaseya can't do that right now so you have to program it yourself.

Legacy Posted By Username: chris.whitfield
  • I have used PowerShell a little here and there, and would love to see it integrated into Kaseya somehow.

I'm not a developer, I'm a "copy/paste scripter", and I've been amazed at how easy it is to do some basic things. Like for example, controlling Hyper-V, I can start or stop a VM with a single command. Fantastic.

Legacy Posted By Username: djmundy
  • I will say that I was thrilled with the command shell access in the K2 Live Connect...until I tried to run powershell.exe and it told me it wasn't allowed. I had hoped it would allow this so I could get at remote PowerShell in instances where direct access to the machine wasn't possible (since I can do remote command shell in PowerShell without Kaseya if I have a direct connection). Sad to see that I can't access it even though in a regular command prompt I can run PowerShell.exe without any issues.

• chris.whitfield
    I will say that I was thrilled with the command shell access in the K2 Live Connect...until I tried to run powershell.exe and it told me it wasn't allowed.

NOOOOOOOO Eek

I was looking forward to that functionality also!

Legacy Posted By Username: XeviouS
  • XeviouS
    NOOOOOOOO Eek

I was looking forward to that functionality also!

So, is there a list of things allowed within the K2 remote shell? This is very disappointing to hear and pretty much cinches my decision to look elsewhere for an RMM tool if there's only a few things that can be run within the shell.

Is there a list published somewhere of what executables may be run?

Thanks,

RCS-Michael

Legacy Posted By Username: RCS-Michael
  • One of my chief complaints with this product is the poor documentation. I had high expectations, when I noted that the help is specifically online, that the available information would be often updated as new information became available...not so much. To make matters worse, there doesn't seem to be much new knowledgebase content going up either. And if that wasn't all bad enough, half the time when I search the forums it tells me it can't find any results for a given keyword, but then I go and find a post with the subject of my exact keyword.

On a bright note, I am partway done on creating a PowerShell module for Kaseya that will allow management of some functions completely from PowerShell (K2 only right now). More info will be forthcoming soon!