Kaseya Community

Alarms

• I find the way Kaseya treats alarms to be too basic and restrictive, and would really love to have the following features:
    1. A way to set severity of alarms (informational, low, meduim, critical, etc) and the ability to specify these in event/monitor/snmp sets.
    2. Have alarms auto-close if the alarm condition is no longer true - eg offline agent comes back online. Possibly these would stay in the alarm queue by have a status of "auto closed by Kserver"
    3. A way to ignore the alarm for x hours/days or forever.
    4. A global setting to send only critical alerts to a specified email address, which we could use to email an after hours on-call technician
    5. An acknowledged/in progress by - we don't have an integrated ticketing system, so it would be nice to know what alarms are being worked on without checking our ticket queue.
    6. The ability to create an alert from a script without having to use a workaround such as event create.

I recall the auto-close was a feature early in v5 development but was dropped. I think one of the main problems with this version was that you couldn't manually close alarms (I remember have hundreds of alarms open that could not be closed)

Legacy Forum Name: Alarms,
    Legacy Posted By Username: eddy@dgs.com.au
  • I second the above.

It would also be extremely useful to be able to create Virtual Devices in Kaseya, for example we have our Kaseya server ping a variety of Routers all over the place, if these alarm it will Alarm as an issue with the Kaseya Server!

WHY? Why can we not have a virtual device for a External System Check items, then if that IP Alarms the alarm can be see instantly in detail on summary.

Legacy Forum Name: Virtual Systems Administrator Core Functionality,
    Legacy Posted By Username: stu_u2k
  • eddy@dgs.com.au
    I find the way Kaseya treats alarms to be too basic and restrictive, and would really love to have the following features:
    1. A way to set severity of alarms (informational, low, meduim, critical, etc) and the ability to specify these in event/monitor/snmp sets.
    2. Have alarms auto-close if the alarm condition is no longer true - eg offline agent comes back online. Possibly these would stay in the alarm queue by have a status of "auto closed by Kserver"
    3. A way to ignore the alarm for x hours/days or forever.
    4. A global setting to send only critical alerts to a specified email address, which we could use to email an after hours on-call technician
    5. An acknowledged/in progress by - we don't have an integrated ticketing system, so it would be nice to know what alarms are being worked on without checking our ticket queue.
    6. The ability to create an alert from a script without having to use a workaround such as event create.

I recall the auto-close was a feature early in v5 development but was dropped. I think one of the main problems with this version was that you couldn't manually close alarms (I remember have hundreds of alarms open that could not be closed)

I believe a lot of this is coming in the Advanced Monitoring Pack or whatever it is going to be called. I was working with Jeff Keyes back in 2008 (wow, that long ago now?) on a lot of concepts including much of what you are looking for. He had most of it storyboarded out and seemed to understand what was needed to making the monitoring functional. Alas he got sidetracked on KES and that appears to have eaten up all his time. I really wish he would get back to the monitoring side of the house and stop screwing around with KES/AVG.

Legacy Posted By Username: CCDave
  • Yeah I second that, SNMP is another place which could do with a serious overhaul in Kaseya, but much rather have the above done first.

• We've got around a few of these by using scripts and eventsets and not enabling the creation of an alarm directly from the actual monitor set.

I.e A Monitor set is configured so it's only action is to run a script.
    When triggered the scripts 1st step is to pause for 5 min
    This is our delay.
    Next the script continues and writes an event to the event log with an eventid we specifiy.
    Next , via an Alert EventSet we watch for this eventID and create an alarm.

So the net result is the alarm creation is delayed 5mins.

To then get clever in the script have it check to see if the service that stopped is running , or ping the machine thats offline etc .... and have the script exit before creating the alarm.

It may be that you need to have 1 script calling another and making the one that checks for the service or ping loop itself whilst it keeps checking until either a true state is detected or the delay period is exceeded.

We're also working on a way to Autoclose.
    The tricky part is simply parsing the AlarmID to a script as a variable.
    I cannot see anyway where Kaseya will do this.

If we can solve this then we'll use the AlarmID and the Service or machname in the script and then using a similar technique to above put the script into a loop whilst it keeps checking to see it the service restarts , or the machine comes back on line.
    Then we will call a 2nd script which will actually run on the KServer and given the detail from above , ie AlarmID, we'll pass it to some vbscript which will change the AlarmState from a 1 to 2 in the MonitorAlarm table and effectively close the alarm.

So .. if anyone knows how to pass the AlarmID to a script then let me know.

Legacy Posted By Username: haakerp
  • Please correct me if I am wrong but this would still mean all alarms appear in the EVENT LOG category on the Dashboards, this is another thing I am trying to resolve.

I was thinking about the loops etc similar to what you describe however I also could not see a way to open a ticket \ alarm from a script.

For use the dashboard should be indicating where the problem has occurred not necessarily the machine which flagged it, I.E. If we have one machine doing all external ping checks that is where any alarms will show not the group \ site the item you are pinging belongs too.

I can see that I could get it to write to event log with the details but without being really clever and a very long winded process I cannot see how we can get this group name the alarm is assigned to changing, I don't want to have to write an individual rule for each group based on the name of a ticket \ alarm etc that's crazy.

• Alarms are a real problem for us.

We use a dashboard and would like things to be as current as possible.

I would dearly like to be able to open and close alarms via script.

And, more importantly, Any alarm opened with a ticket should be automatically closed when the ticket is closed.

Having to manually close alarms when the corresponding ticket is closed is a real pain.

Legacy Posted By Username: garry
  • garry
    Having to manually close alarms when the corresponding ticket is closed is a real pain.

I second that!

• I saw a discussion recently on linkedin that someone used a database script to set the alarm as closed. This seems straightforward, but I'm sure it's not supported by Kaseya.

I thought kaseya had an update a while back that allowed self-healing. What was that all about?

Legacy Posted By Username: runnetworks
  • No update which I have heard of, unless it is a K2 update?!

As for the database script, if you stumble across it again please share that would be very, very handy.

• This little bit of VB will update your SQL Database
    The table monitoralarm simply has a field called monitorAlarmStateId with a value
    of 0,1,2 being 0=On Hold, 1=Open, 2=Closed

So if you pass 2 as an argument to the following vb you change the alarm to Closed

Just substitute your Kaseya SQL Servers IP Address and username/password

Set ArgObj = Wscript.Arguments
    State = Cint(ArgObj(0))

dim sServer, sConn, oConn,oRS
    sServer="xx.xx.xx.xx"
    sConn="provider=sqloledb;data source=" & sServer & ";initial catalog=Ksubscribers"
    Set oConn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    oConn.Open sConn, "username", "password"
    Set oRS =CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
    sSQL="update dbo.monitorAlarm set monitorAlarmStateId = " & state
    ors.open sSQL, oconn

Cheers
    Paul

Legacy Posted By Username: haakerp