Kaseya Community

Simon Says Function

• Not sure why this just went through my mind.

But. sometimes you want to do the same thing on multiple computers. Scripting seems pointles if you KNOW this will only ever be done once, and sometimes the time taken to script would be prohibitive. What would be cool would be to set one agent as a "master" ( simon) and have the other agents you choose follow what you do on the master ( sort of like a real time macro builder ). Something simple may be to install some weird software for a client with certain settings that can't be scripted or batched. so as you are going through the steps on the master to make the install and changes happen, the other agents are also going through the steps.

Might be a load of crap but thought I'd throw it up for coment/thought/reaction

Legacy Forum Name: Simon Says Function,
    Legacy Posted By Username: HTG
  • I haven't used this personally, but I think this is what the Custom Install Packager is supposed to do. Check it out under Scripts -> Packager and give it a try.

Legacy Forum Name: Virtual Systems Administrator Core Functionality,
    Legacy Posted By Username: CCDave
  • CCDave
    I haven't used this personally, but I think this is what the Custom Install Packager is supposed to do. Check it out under Scripts -> Packager and give it a try.

I've played a couple of times with Custom Install Packager and it's quite cool.

Basically you run it once on a machine before performing the tasks you want.
    It takes a snapshot of your files and registry.
    You then do what ever you want to do (install software, create files, fiddle with registry, etc...)
    Once you're done you run the Install Packager again, it takes a second snapshot and compares it with the baseline one.
    A final screen is displayed with all the differences, you choose the ones that relate to what you want to do and it creates an EXE file for you that when run will do all the work for you.

I use it not only to generate EXE files to install a couple of softwares in one go (specially for clients that have a standard software policy) but also to debug stuff like what a software does when it runs. In this case I don't actually create an EXE file, I just want to see the final screen with the differences.
    EXAMPLE: An Anti-Virus runs a scan. What files/registry entries does it update. Can I then create new monitoring sets based on the information I get.

Legacy Forum Name: Virtual Systems Administrator Core Functionality,
    Legacy Posted By Username: pferrucio