Kaseya Community

Allow Local Modifcation of "System" Scripts

• There are a number of system scripts that we'd like to modify in order to fit our needs. I know this is opening a can of worms but here's what I propose:

Allow master admins to see the system scripts and modify them. Provide a "restore factory settings" option or make it easy to put things back when we break them.

I know that I can hack my way into the database and do this on my own but doing it that way actually increases the risk that I hose my system and then call Kaseya for help. On the other hand, there are a lot of clever people using Kaseya and we just might come up with some cool stuff and share it -- and that's good for all of us (Kaseya included).

--Tom

Legacy Forum Name: Allow Local Modifcation of "System" Scripts,
    Legacy Posted By Username: sequoya
  • Tom have you tried the "Alt + Click" trick yet?

Go to a single machine view and to the Pending Scripts Tab. Find a system script and hover just after the name. Your cursor should change to a hand indicating a link. Hold Alt, then click there. Presto that script opens in a new window where you can "Save As.."

Some scripts are missing info or are trying to find files in the "VSA Hidden Files" folder but you should be able to make your way through it.

There are a lot of interesting things in the hidden Kaseya scripts.

Legacy Forum Name: Virtual Systems Administrator Core Functionality,
    Legacy Posted By Username: CeruleanBlue
  • Also, if you need to 'Restore Factory Settings' the Reapply Schema function will do this for you Smile

Legacy Posted By Username: LANWorx
  • CeruleanBlue
    Tom have you tried the "Alt + Click" trick yet?

Go to a single machine view and to the Pending Scripts Tab. Find a system script and hover just after the name. Your cursor should change to a hand indicating a link. Hold Alt, then click there. Presto that script opens in a new window where you can "Save As.."

Some scripts are missing info or are trying to find files in the "VSA Hidden Files" folder but you should be able to make your way through it.

There are a lot of interesting things in the hidden Kaseya scripts.

Yes, Nate discovered the Alt + Click technique and we've used that to look at how some of the system scripts work. And, I realize I could "Save As" if I want to run a modified version.

BUT, I don't think I can actually modify a "system" script that the VSA uses. For example, using the "Send Message" feature on the remote control tab invokes a system script to display the message. I could copy that script and change it but I can't change the script that the system runs when I use the "Send Message" feature.

"Send Message" is actually a good example because the VSA web page makes it easy to enter the text you want. If I create a SendMessage script, I have to open it, edit it, save it, and then run it in order to send an ad hoc message to the machine. Let's say I want to enhance that message delivery by making all messsages pop up in a custom application that logs whether the user acknowledged the message or provided some type of feedback. I can't do that and still use the VSA's Send Message web page to launch it. If I could modify the system script behind it then I can really add value to the the Send Message function that's already there.

It also appears that for "Send Message" the VSA uses a system script as a template but creates a new unique script on the fly that contains the message. For this case I really need to modify the template.

Again, I'm sure I could hack the database to do this but that approach is fragile. Having some "official" way to change and/or enhance system scripts would be valuable.

BTW, I used Send Message as an example and I'm sure there are a number of ways to accomplish this specific change. However, the point isn't Send Message but rather system scripts in general.

--Tom

Legacy Posted By Username: sequoya