Kaseya Community

Run shell commands

• It would be a great feature to be able to run shell commands from the GUI instead of creating a script. The reason for this is sometimes we may need to run a simple stop and start spooler command and rather than create a script for this once off job, it would be best if you could simply enter a shell command and send it to the given pcs

Legacy Forum Name: Run shell commands,
    Legacy Posted By Username: luke@advance.on.net
  • Luke, I am not quite sure I understand your request. How do you run a shell command from the GUI?

Legacy Forum Name: Virtual Systems Administrator Core Functionality,
    Legacy Posted By Username: kaseya
  • I think he means a feature that would allow you to quickly send a command to a managed machine and have it execute, without going to the trouble of writing a script.

I could see some value in this as well, as many of the scripts I put together are one-offs.

Legacy Posted By Username: topdogpc
  • Hi Joe
    Your right on the money. I meant being able to execute shell commands to managed machines through the VSA gui, rather than having to write a script for simple commands such as net use and stopping and starting services etc

Legacy Posted By Username: luke@advance.on.net
  • I agree with this as well. I can't tell you the amount of times I have to write a one off script. That would be a great feature.

Legacy Posted By Username: pairmsupport
  • What would be cool is to figure out a way for PSEXEC to run through the secure Kaseya connection with the client...now that would be slick.

Legacy Posted By Username: jasonb
  • I agree, this sounds like a great feature.

Legacy Posted By Username: dpope
  • I thought of having a remote shell window - this would be fantastic, but I thought it out of scope for the question. Now that you've raised it, I'll second it Smile

Legacy Posted By Username: Anthony Michaud
  • saggio7
    I understand the original idea was to be able to enter single commands to the command shell. This would be very useful and I would heartily second the idea.

It would also be very useful if we could get a complete command shell console from the Remote Control tab. I would like access to both the native command shell and PowerShell (if it was installed).

There are many situations where a command shell would be very advantageous. It does not use very much bandwidth. If you are using someone else’s computer, you should not need to install the VNC Viewer. You could still access the remote computer when VNC does not work. You could perform certain tasks without interrupting the remote user. You can do anything in PowerShell to the OS that you can perform with the GUI. Users do not move/rename/delete icons in command shells.

I thought of having a remote shell window - this would be fantastic, but I thought it out of scope for the question. Now that you've raised it, I'll second it Smile

Legacy Posted By Username: Anthony Michaud
  • I understand the original idea was to be able to enter single commands to the command shell. This would be very useful and I would heartily second the idea.

It would also be very useful if we could get a complete command shell console from the Remote Control tab. I would like access to both the native command shell and PowerShell (if it was installed).

There are many situations where a command shell would be very advantageous. It does not use very much bandwidth. If you are using someone else’s computer, you should not need to install the VNC Viewer. You could still access the remote computer when VNC does not work. You could perform certain tasks without interrupting the remote user. You can do anything in PowerShell to the OS that you can perform with the GUI. Users do not move/rename/delete icons in command shells.

Legacy Posted By Username: saggio7
  • We use a script that temporarily turns on Telnet and configures the Windows Firewall on the XP/Server box, then we telnet from another box that has a routed path to it.

It still requires the execution of a script, but it's fairly handy.

However, the perfect world for this would be to make TELNET another option for remote control. We have VNC, Radmin, FTP available in the K server. Why not telnet?

I know this following comment is not quite on thread, but:
    Sure would be nice to have a linux agent. We have lots of linux in our support infrastructure and sometime it would be nice to shell into a box and do our dirty deeds without having to mess with the firewall, create VPNs and such.

Legacy Posted By Username: kubuntuuser
  • Better yet ssh client and server options. ;-)

Legacy Posted By Username: integricor
  • Have to agree on the one offs, I right about 3-4 ones a week.

Legacy Posted By Username: cking@faylib.org
  • integricor
    Better yet ssh client and server options. ;-)

In principle I agree with you, but if the agent is already doing the loopback encryption dance, SSH may be additional overhead that isn't really required. That said, if I can avoid having Telnet enabled at all, that's not a bad thing. So... I guess I'm seconding this recommendation after all! Big Smile

On-Topic: I have a "Run XYZ command" script that I simply edit over and over again, but that's still damned tedious...

Legacy Posted By Username: GreyDuck
  • excellent suggestion. ive thought the exact same thing myself.

Legacy Posted By Username: james@williswhite.co.nz