Kaseya Community

Mac

• Mac = How big of an opportunity? And what is the percentage of machines you manage?

Thanks,

Legacy Forum Name: Mac,
    Legacy Posted By Username: kaseya
  • Right now Macs make up less than 1% of the systems I could potentially be managing at existing clients. I think growth in that space is inevitable as more people start wanting their "Mac at home" experience at work.

That being said, the potential for Linux machines is much, much bigger for me. I would say at least 10% of the systems I manage are Linux-based. This doesn't take into account embedded systems either.

Legacy Forum Name: Virtual Systems Administrator Core Functionality,
    Legacy Posted By Username: topdogpc
  • Well, maybe not quite yet 'obsolete,' but it’s getting there. We agree, MACs hold a tiny market share, however we find that as clients, MAC users sometime offer higher margin opportunities.

More importantly is the ability for easy of management of thin clients - we have trouble accounting for device that are "not PCs" and found ourselves manually keeping track of devices or people - a difficult task at best.

As things like Google Apps proliferate, this will only become more prevalent.

Legacy Posted By Username: SADAsystems
  • We work mainly in the media industry with our customers running about a 50/50 split between mac/pc.

we are really looking forward to a new mac agent, it will double our kaseya client base overnight... probably 1000 clients added.

Legacy Posted By Username: dgrout@datrix.co.uk
  • About 2% of our customer base is Mac. Seems that almost every office has at least one station. I would just like to be able to remote control them, I could care less about the auto patching of OS X point releases.

Legacy Posted By Username: jregan@ami.net
  • We have about half of our clients who have one or more MACs that we end up supporting with remote access.

Legacy Posted By Username: Bearfan1
  • While we don't have a lot of Mac clients at the moment, 3 out of the last 5 clients we just signed up have Macs they want us to support. Currently we have no way of support remotely these Macs.

Bearfan1 - How do you support Macs via remote access?

Legacy Posted By Username: CCDave
  • We are in the Healthcare verticle market and Mac's are no where to be seen (except a few at the physician's home).

Other than that, we can't spell Mac.

And that doesn't hurt my feelings. Smile

Legacy Posted By Username: GrantB
  • topdogpc
    ...the potential for Linux machines is much, much bigger for me. I would say at least 10% of the systems I manage are Linux-based.

Agreed. If there is parallel interest in a MAC agent, then there should be parallel development of a MAC/Linux agent.

As I have posted before, if I could simply shell to a linux box I could do everything else including VNC through the SSH client.

Legacy Posted By Username: kubuntuuser
  • kaseya
    Mac = How big of an opportunity? And what is the percentage of machines you manage?

Thanks,

We have about 40% Macs and advertise ourselves frequently in the market as having the ability to support networks containing Macs and PCs. As I said in the old forums having a Mac agent is key to our future with Kaseya. I was told it was slated to be released this quarter and we are looking forward to it very much.

Legacy Posted By Username: nate
  • RSQDave
    While we don't have a lot of Mac clients at the moment, 3 out of the last 5 clients we just signed up have Macs they want us to support. Currently we have no way of support remotely these Macs.

Bearfan1 - How do you support Macs via remote access?

logmein.com now has remote support for MACs and smartphones.

Mac is about 30-40% of our business we creative firms and printers both are heavy Mac users. We have to keep our logmein account for this customer until Kaseya can support them fully.

Legacy Posted By Username: pairmsupport
  • The next release of Kaseya will have an Agent for the Mac.

• I know Kaseya is getting ready to release a MAC client sometime this quarter, however my question for Kaseya in regards to this client, is .... Are we going to still be dependent on Internet Explorer 6 and up and Windows for techs to work on computers remotely ... IE - is ActiveX being replaced in the scripting of the browser components to be more cross-browser compatible ... will we be able to use Safari or Firefox or Opera to do what we do now and will we be able to use Safari on a MAC to remote control into a Windows or a Mac machine, etc ... what more details can you give us about the functionality in this area in the upcoming release - MAKE US DROOL KASEYA!

Legacy Posted By Username: TBK Consulting
  • Maybe I'll just find out tomorrow when we try it, but I thought I'd ask:
    Will Mac agents be able to check into a not-yet-upgraded (i.e. 4.8) server, or will it require a Kaseya 2008 server for them to check in?

I'd like to start testing out Mac capabilities ASAP, even before we coordinate the downtime and testing to upgrade our KServer...

Legacy Posted By Username: Matthew Bartels
  • You will need to upgrade.