Kaseya Community

Kaseya ticketing to Connectwise

• Hi all:
    Does anyone who uses Connectwise know how to setup Kaseya tickets to automatically open a Connectwise ticket? For instance, if I had Kesaya setup to generate a ticket when an event log error occurs, can I have that also open a Connectwise ticket?

I appreciate any information.

Thanks!

Legacy Forum Name: Kaseya ticketing to Connectwise,
    Legacy Posted By Username: jthomas
  • Is there a reason to have tickets in both systems? We have Kaseya send email alerts to the ConnectWise email connector, which generates a ticket in CW.

Legacy Forum Name: How-To,
    Legacy Posted By Username: ethornton
  • You would use Kaseya ticketing to send connectwise tickets to keep some structure and reference around the data that is used.
    At the top of the K ticket you will see a Ticket ID and a Machine ID
    You can use the kaseya Machine ID to reference an associated asset in CW.
    You need to capture the kaseya Ticket ID to allow you to automate opening and closing of items in each system.

We have a Kaseya dashboard in our office. When we have an item exceed threshold it shows an alarm on the dashboard AND creates a ticket in CW (Our ticketing system of choice).
    When we close the ticket in CW the alarm stills shows as open on the dashboard until we manually close it. I want to automate this and the only way I can see to do this is by using something that can be reference in both the CW and K systems. The ticketID is the only indicator I can find that is connected to the alarm and is easily passed between systems.

Legacy Posted By Username: garry
  • Kaseya doesn't use the full ConnectWise API, but there are other products that do. Without getting into some heavy database trickery, I wouldn't expect this to work and I don't think anyone has ever invested the time. Alerts are also different than tickets - you may want to instead try coming up with another board based on different database tables. It would probably be easier to come up with an active report that generates some kind of image based on the connectwise database fields than it would to come up with several cross-reference reactions that work effectively to automatically manage the kaseya alerts dashboard. I created a board like this from Numara's footprints by editing the alerts that came from Kaseya so that it would automatically populate identical categorization fields in the ticketing system based on emails that it received. I know there is similar functionality in ConnectWise, but I'm not familiar with it at this point beyond parsing subject lines.

Our strategy currently is to instead use the alerts board as a means for generating tickets - someone reviews the alerts board and if an alert looks as though it demands attention or doesn't have a ticket yet created for it, then a ticket is created from the alert, which then sends an email notification of the new Kaseya ticket to connectwise.

Legacy Posted By Username: drodden
  • Hey there.
    Perhaps you have discovered this already, but Connectwise has an Email Connector program that will scrape a public folder and process the emails into tickets. The version on our mail server is called ExchangeRobot2007 We have it setup so that Kaseya sends our alert emails to public folders on our Exchange server after which a batch file running through scheduled tasks looks to the public folders and acts on the new messages.

Hope this helps!

Legacy Posted By Username: jeffreymolson
  • I've used those methods. The tickets created in automatically ConnectWise from Kaseya via API are virtually useless, there's so little information passed across.

Alerts can be a useful way to collect and review information for monitoring, but I have yet to find a way to automatically create only high-priority tickets in CW (and you have to be VERY selective, only the most serious issues) while still keeping the more detailed alerts in Kaseya.

I thought that reporting might fill in the detail, but I haven't found anything in reporting that come close to doing that.

Kaseya and ConnectWise have never shown a lot of interest in cooperation, or much help making it work. And I still don't see much progress, or even promises. This morning I watched a ConnectWise TV session on LabTech, with INTEGRATION writ large over everything. And it's cheaper than Kaseya...

/kenw

Legacy Posted By Username: Ken Wallewein
  • Cheaper maybe, but not better. LabTech may eventually rival Kaseya, but it's missing quite a few features that Kaseya has.

And yes, it's the age old "We both have APIs, you support me" thing. This is actually more on Connectwise's side than Kaseya's in my opinion -- they do the same thing with Sonicwall GMS (which Connectwise originally wrote for Sonicwall).

For just ticket transfer, have you tried Kaseya's "Ext. Ticket" with Connectwise's agent portal page? It's still manual, but saves choosing the machine and company.

But back to the original question -- what goals do you have for the synchronization? I might be able to help out.

Legacy Posted By Username: Intech-Jason
  • Cheaper maybe, but not better. LabTech may eventually rival Kaseya, but it's missing quite a few features that Kaseya has.

And yes, it's the age old "We both have APIs, you support me" thing. This is actually more on Connectwise's side than Kaseya's in my opinion -- they do the same thing with Sonicwall GMS (which Connectwise originally wrote for Sonicwall).

For just ticket transfer, have you tried Kaseya's "Ext. Ticket" with Connectwise's agent portal page? It's still manual, but saves choosing the machine and company.

But back to the original question -- what goals do you have for the synchronization? I might be able to help out.

OK. Remember, you asked! Big Smile

Would you care to be a bit more specific about those missing features? It always seems that you find out about these things after it's too late. Hoping to benefit from some of this educational scar tissue Wink.

I presume you meant Integration, not Synchronization, right? Yes, I have Ext. Ticket configured.

Comment: What a disappointment. What genius thought it was OK to create tickets with no body detail? Useless! And it's been that way since a couple of years ago at least, both CW and K having been throught major revisions, still with little more than vague references to it maybe being better someday. Let me be blunt: it's STUPID!!

I would _like_ to have emailed and syslog (which we use a third party tool for) alerts come into Kaseya to be vetted automatically or manually, and generate proper tickets in ConnectWise. But I really don't have any hope it'll ever happen. I've given up on that. From my POV, it looks like nobody on the dev team has any sense or imagination.

Comment: It's time Kaseya accepted that CW does what it does (which is a LOT more than ticket management, and ticketing is integral to CW) better than K is likely to do for a long time, and CW users are not going to switch. Ticket integration is just another lost promise.

I've been digging back into it, and I think I can see how to use K to both log "interesting" events for review and automatically create very few tickets in CW. But I don't see how to do automatic CW ticket creation from email. That integration is basically broken. (Definition: works but is useless ==> broken.)

Comment: It takes far too much work to get K even basically function in a smaller site; it's almost below being cost-effective until you can dedicate something like a 50% FTE of labour for 6 months to get it working. I wonder if anybody's ever estimated the total cost of getting K actually useable.

So, what can you do with that? Thanks for asking, BTW.

/kenw

• BTW, I can live with the fact that Kaseya doesn't do syslog -- I have a workaround (SL4NT) works, albeit with more hassle. And we'll set aside that Kaseya doesn't do WMI, like PRTG (which is FAR cheaper, see previous discussions) does, although I'm amazed at that..

But the fact that Kaseya ONLY accepts email as tickets is a problem, because:

• K's ticket area can't create CW tickets via email.
    • the only way to get tickets out of K is via the Ext Ticket function, which is basically broken.
    • the ticket interface has none of the Alerts area's capability for urgency evaluation and selective automatic ticket creation.

None of these strike me as particularly difficult to address. What do you think?

/kenw

• So...I'm one of those people who does the annoying thing of quoting what I'm replying to so I don't have to rephrase the question...

Would you care to be a bit more specific about those missing features? It always seems that you find out about these things after it's too late. Hoping to benefit from some of this educational scar tissue .

Regarding LabTech -- we evaluated it. They're doing a lot of neat things and they do have some features that Kaseya doesn't, I'm pretty sure Kaseya's watching them closely. They look much better when you compare them to K5.1 than when you compare them to K2. Just from a quick list of things missing from Labtech:
    No Active Directory integration for logons
    There's not a clear method of auto-deployment, it requires a lot of interaction (entering company name at the agent, etc).
    The tree based structure gets cumbersome when you have over 1000 agents.
    To get to the advanced administration features you have to use the installed client (web client is more basic, missing stuff)
    No nested statements in scripting (looks almost like K5.1, K2 blows this away)

That's off the top of my head from what I remember. They do have policy based alerting and settings though, which is something Kaseya doesn't. They have a few more things that Kaseya doesn't as well, I just wasn't impressed enough with them to remember them. Comparing to K5.1, LabTech is getting closer to Kaseya. Compared to K2, they're nowhere near where Kaseya is.

But that's a subjective position. Right now it's a "grass is greener" situation for most, I think. LabTech has a demo you can download and evaluate to see how it is in your organization. I found it generally unpolished, kind of clunky, and overall not a good replacement for Kaseya. Linux is "cheaper" than Windows, but I don't recommend it to my clients. Your mileage may vary.

I would _like_ to have emailed and syslog (which we use a third party tool for) alerts come into Kaseya to be vetted automatically or manually, and generate proper tickets in ConnectWise.

When you say vetted automatically, how do you mean? What criteria do you use to evaluate whether you should create a ticket or not? The reason I ask is because if you're going the manual route, you're not that far off from just creating a ticket in Connectwise for everything and cancelling the ones you don't care about. But obviously, that's not where you want to be. I'm lazy and it's better to have it automated.

It's time Kaseya accepted that CW does what it does (which is a LOT more than ticket management, and ticketing is integral to CW) better than K is likely to do for a long time, and CW users are not going to switch. Ticket integration is just another lost promise.

I think Kaseya's aware of this and I don't think they're competing with Connectwise in this market. But for an Enterprise IT company (not a consultant), getting it all in one package is a nice deal. And they're generally not going to shell out the cash for CW. They're competing in the "Track It!" market. The rest is just "Who should do the work?" and there's valid opinions from both sides. I don't have an opinion on it other than "Dammit, someone do it." ;-)

But I don't see how to do automatic CW ticket creation from email. That integration is basically broken. (Definition: works but is useless ==> broken.)

This is the part we need to drill into, I think, to solve your issues. I agree that Connectwise's e-mail parser sucks, but depending on what you're using it for you can get some mileage out of it. It's not near where I want it to be, but it is fairly robust. What information are you trying to get over to CW from Kaseya that's not coming over with the e-mail connector?

• Back atcha...

[QUOTE=Intech-Jason;61027]

No Active Directory integration for logons[/QUOTE]

Which logons?

Interesting comments, thanks. The deployment thing is a concern for me.

A couple of things that frustrate me with K are how much work it takes to set up basic functionality, when I think it should come with the basics already configured and working, and some of the silly holes in functionality like monitoring RAM and network overloads (see other threads. e.g., http://community.kaseya.com/xsp/f/27/t/7328.aspx for details).

When you say vetted automatically, how do you mean? What criteria do you use to evaluate whether you should create a ticket or not?

Same kind of thing K already does for alerts and monitoring. In fact, if I could get email to come into the alerts board as just one more alert source, and apply comparable criteria to them that I do for other alerts, that would probably do it. I could use keyword filters, e.g., as well. The fact that email only goes directly to the ticket board strikes me as singularly myopic and indicates a lack of a product architect with any vision.

The reason I ask is because if you're going the manual route, you're not that far off from just creating a ticket in Connectwise for everything and cancelling the ones you don't care about. But obviously, that's not where you want to be. I'm lazy and it's better to have it automated.
    Believe me, I've considered doing that. Tried it, actually. I do believe K is a better environment for dealing with all monitoring, managing and alerting. Once a ticket is actually created, it should in ConnectWise, and it should be actionable. CW is not an RMM, and doesn't pretend to be.

This is the part we need to drill into, I think, to solve your issues. I agree that Connectwise's e-mail parser sucks, but depending on what you're using it for you can get some mileage out of it. It's not near where I want it to be, but it is fairly robust. What information are you trying to get over to CW from Kaseya that's not coming over with the e-mail connector?

Actually, I'm not sure I agree with you. CW's parser is a bit complex, but it seems fairly good at what they need it to do, which is not what Kaseya should do... but doesn't. K could probably take some lessons from it.

But the issue isn't with ConnectWise at all -- it's with Kaseya. K CAN'T generate tickets in email from the K ticket board. ALL it can do is the silly little token "Ext Ticket" thing which, so far as I can see, doesn't even send the body of the ticket -- either that, or the API on CW's side ignores it. I have it working, and all I get in CW is basically a blank ticket. I've talked to both K and CW support: they both say "yup, that's what it does, not our fault."

The point is, if Kaseysa COULD create external tickets via email to ConnectWise from the ticket board, I'd happily do that. It CAN'T. CW is ready and waiting -- K needs to step up and fix it.

Further, the Kaseya ticket board (unlike the Alerts board) has no automated functionality for vetting tickets and taking action based on them. I can understand that, I suppose. But it means that the only means of getting emailed alerts into Kaseya has no effective way to:

• automatically evaluate the alerts for classification and possible action

• automatically forward them to a "real" ticketing system.

What it boils down to, IMNSHO, is that the Kaseya email reader should be attached to the alerts boad, creating alerts, not tickets. The Alerts board can create send emails and create CW ticket just fine. Either that, or the "Ext Ticket" function should have an email option at a bare minimum, but that eliminates automated vetting.

Ideally (and it will probably never happen), a better integration solution would simply repleace Kaseya's ticketing screen with ConnectWise's Service Board. Other than reading email, it's not clear to me why ConnectWise users would want Kaseya's ticketing system at all.

But let's not get sidetracked; the alternatives I've described above are simple and would go a LONG way to improving integration.

/kenw

• Can you tell me a little more about your help desk process? It sounds like you start by reviewing the alerts in Kaseya itself and going from there?

The reason I ask is because I'm having trouble wrapping my head around it. (Again, I don't use Kaseya's ticketing system). The way I do it is that every alert that's raised in Kaseya either creates a ticket in Connectwise (using the e-mail connector) or triggers a script that evaluates the issue, attempts to fix it, and creates a ticket if that fails or if it's happened more than once in the last X days. So it sounds like I may be missing something in your procedure.

• Can you tell me a little more about your help desk process? It sounds like you start by reviewing the alerts in Kaseya itself and going from there?

The reason I ask is because I'm having trouble wrapping my head around it. (Again, I don't use Kaseya's ticketing system). The way I do it is that every alert that's raised in Kaseya either creates a ticket in Connectwise (using the e-mail connector) or triggers a script that evaluates the issue, attempts to fix it, and creates a ticket if that fails or if it's happened more than once in the last X days. So it sounds like I may be missing something in your procedure.

It sounds like you've got things working well.

The basic principle we follow is that Kaseya is the RMM tool, for monitoring etc.; ConnectWise is the PSA, is for billable and documented activities. I do not want to fill up ConnectWise with non-actionable monitoring data -- it's really not well suited to data collection and evaluation.

We collect a lot of monitoring info and alerts into Kaseya. Like you (I presume), a few selected alerts and monitor sets are configured to generate high-probability actionable tickets (via email) into ConnectWise (automated remediation coming soon). The remaining collected information is kept for periodic review, maintenance and troubleshooting activities. I would probably prefer to use K reports for that purpose, but I haven't found the available reports to be all that well suited to alert review.

Additionally, there is a lot of equipment and software at our client sites that generates "alerts" via email or syslog (which is also redirected to email), and is not readily monitored directly by Kaseya via the usual alerts and monitor sets. We direct that email at Kaseya, and it ends up in the ticketting area, because that is the only way Kaseya can accept it.

The problem is that Kaseya has only very weak automation capability for email coming into the ticketing area, leaving that a largely manual process. That is definitely NOT our preference. But I'd rather it go into into K than CW. Maybe K just isn't well suited to collecting that much information.

Does this make more sense to you?

/kenw

• It sounds like what you're doing is actually the way to go for the way that you're using Kaseya for your non-actionable information and Connectwise ticketing for your actionable items.

From there then, we go back to the original issue of syslog and other triggered data and I think I see what you're saying -- basically, Kaseya works really well as your "one-stop" database for non-actionable information that's useful in troubleshooting. Except where third party items are concerned in that it doesn't act as a syslog server (or an e-mail catch other than ticketing, which you already have Connectwise for and we know that ticketing systems aren't good for non-actionable items).

I think this is actually the intent of one of Kaseya's newer modules (with Nmap, etc) but let's assume that's a long way out. Let's get out of the realm of theory and take a real-world item and see if we can come up with a solution that you can apply to your business. What's one device that you'd like to handle monitoring for? Some examples of how it submits data, and what that data means to you.

• I'm short of time, but if I get where you're going, it sounds like what I was thinking: that I need to reduce what I'm doing, forget about all that email-based reporting that software (backups, antivirus, Windows, etc.) and equipment (routers, printers, etc.) vendors so thoughtfully built into their products, and focus on what just the stuff Kaseya collects via alerts, monitoring, etc.

In otherwords, be lean. Only collect the data that I know what I'm going to do with right now, never mind collecting diagnostic and management information. If it can't generate an actionable ticket, or trigger a script, ignore it. Forget email and syslog, because even though K can bring it in, it can't do anything useful with it.

Seems kind of a shame. We even have an "alerts" mailbox that all that stuff is sent to. But who's going to read it all manually?

/kenw