Kaseya Community

No Life Connect - Just VNC

• Hey everyone,
    Is there any way to allow a user just regular access through VNC without Life Connect?

In the "old" version of Kaseya it was possible to grant a user access through Agent > User Access. The same accounts still work but it comes up with Life Connect and I prefer that the user doesn't see all the menu options plus we need VNC in full screen mode.
    Any ideas?

Thanks!!

Legacy Forum Name: No Life Connect - Just VNC,
    Legacy Posted By Username: -Dan-
  • [QUOTE=-Dan-;60380]Hey everyone,
    Is there any way to allow a user just regular access through VNC without Life Connect?

In the "old" version of Kaseya it was possible to grant a user access through Agent > User Access. The same accounts still work but it comes up with Life Connect and I prefer that the user doesn't see all the menu options plus we need VNC in full screen mode.
    Any ideas?

Thanks!![/QUOTE]

As far as i know that is no longer an option. You can disable option which users see in system / user role and machine role

Legacy Forum Name: How-To,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Hans den Boer
  • Hans den Boer
    As far as i know that is no longer an option. You can disable option which users see in system / user role and machine role

Actually it can be done... it takes a bit of setup as you need to set a bunch of different user roles... well depeneding on how many clients you want to have access to vnc... but it can be done via user roles.

Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • I have posed this question to K as clients have complain about "Live Connect". The K response was that it is not an option to remote users. We too do not use the LC as much as we thought. Not reliable...unfortunetly, we have run into too many time consuming connection problems. VNC Remote Control works every time tho and takes less time to connect.

Legacy Posted By Username: shickey
  • I know the work around is to set up a regular Kaseya user including roles, etc. However, it is rather time consuming and the system gets filled up with junk literally. I don't think LC is that nice either plus you cannot even restrict functionality, i.e. they don't need to run an audit on their down machines, etc. oh well Sad

Legacy Posted By Username: -Dan-
  • Try following but am not sure if this will work because i have never tried it

Goto system >> customize >> live connect >> on the right side windows click agent procedure and remove which ever menu u donot want user to see

To see VNC session in full screen

Click remote control >> configure >> set parameters and on the right side window select vnc full screen

Legacy Posted By Username: rajeevsharma
  • [QUOTE=-Dan-;60565]I know the work around is to set up a regular Kaseya user including roles, etc. However, it is rather time consuming and the system gets filled up with junk literally. I don't think LC is that nice either plus you cannot even restrict functionality, i.e. they don't need to run an audit on their down machines, etc. oh well Sad[/QUOTE]

It's only time consuming once, that is setting up the user roles and testing blah blah is a real pain. BUT if you set up a "Scope" (I use admin), you can specify which company you want to have that user have remote control for.

It seems that in the transission from K2k8 to K2 something got muddled... I used to be able to set several roles (one for RC one for inventory (which is basically the Agent Status), so on and so forth) but now it seems that I can only do one at a time... if this is the case I'll be rethinking the above methods.

• thirteentwenty
    Actually it can be done... it takes a bit of setup as you need to set a bunch of different user roles... well depeneding on how many clients you want to have access to vnc... but it can be done via user roles.

the role part - your correct.(as i already said it was possible to disable/hide other options..but just VNC outside of KLC that's what's wanted here, so VNC can be used full screen right....

can you create a machine role in such a maner that it start VNC when you log on to the K portal instead of launching KLC and then have the VNC option?

• Hans den Boer
    the role part - your correct.(as i already said it was possible to disable/hide other options..but just VNC outside of KLC that's what's wanted here, so VNC can be used full screen right....

can you create a machine role in such a maner that it start VNC when you log on to the K portal instead of launching KLC and then have the VNC option?

Yes! Kind of... but not a machine role...

EDIT: I'll be posting how I created my user login for RC (via vnc sans LC) only

• thirteentwenty
    Yes! Kind of... but not a machine role...

By disabling anything else then remote control, right? and then create a scope for the machine's te user has access two...did not think of that - thinking to much out of KLC i guess...nice suggestion !

Can that also be done with a machine account (ie a terminal server account for a customer - after logon to K portal users have to log on to the TS with there own credentials)

• thirteentwenty

sounds like an intresting post

• This is how I setup my client login for Remote Control only.

Step 1: Creating the User Roles
    Go to System |> User Security > User Roles

1. Make a new role (I called mine "Client_RC")
    2. Select the "Access Rights" Tab
    3. Click the "Set Role Access Rights" button (it's above the "Expand All" button)
    4. De-select all but the "Remote Control" option. note: you can't deselect the "System" option.

1. Expand the "Remote Control" option by clicking the "+" next to it and de-select all options except for the "Desktop Control" option.
      2. Expand the "Desktop Control" option by clicking the "+" next to it and de-select all options except for the "Control Machine" option
      3. Expand the "System" option by clicking the "+" next to it and de-select all options
      4. Expand the "User Settings" option and deselect the "Preferences" option. :note: this will make it so that your new user can only change their passwords.
      5. Click the "OK" button

Step 2: Creating the Client Scope
    Go To
    System |> User Security > Scope
    Click New and create the scope (I use Admin e.g. kaseyaAdmin) and save.

1. Click the "Machine Groups" tab

1. Click the "Assign" button and select the machine groups you to allow the user to be able to RC into.

2. Click the "Organizations" tab

1. Click the "Assign" button and select the organizational group that matches the machine group(s) you selected in the previous step (this should lock the user into that specific organization)

Step 3: Create the User
    Go To
    System |> User Security > Users

1. Create the User.
    2. Click the Rolls Tab

1. Click the "Assign" button and select the "Role" you created in Step 1

3. Click the Scops Tab

1. Click the "Assign" button and select the "Scope" you created in Step 2

Now try logging in as the new user you've just created.

Note: We only allow this to our clients primary POC's we generally will now allow access via Kaseya for clients that want access to one or two machines.