Kaseya Community

Custom Views

• I've been trying to create better views in Kaseya for managed machines. I have to view only Exchange Servers for a view, Print Servers for another view, etc. I have started with Exchange views.

In the edit, I have checked "All Servers" as a view, and also "Installed Applications". For the search for installed applications, I looked up an exchange servers, and under add/remove programs it said "Microsoft Exchange" for the application name. I used "*Microsoft Exchange*", but this displays no results. This tells me the application name does not come from add/remove programs, but soemthing else. Anyone have an idea where Kaseya pulls application names from? Is it just the .exe name?

If I search for just "Exchange", it shoes all my exchange servers, but also shows a ton of other servers that have exhcnage tools installs.

Legacy Forum Name: Custom Views,
    Legacy Posted By Username: boostmr2
  • Kaseya registers every .exe file as an installed application. Go to the Audit tab, check out Installed Apps under the View Group Data section. Here you can see all the .exe files found on an agent.

Legacy Forum Name: How-To,
    Legacy Posted By Username: SteveR
  • I'm trying to set up custom views for various apps / server roles (SQL, Exchange, DC, IIS, WINS/DNS, etc.).

A problem I've noticed is that sometimes copies of the executable exist in patch uninstallation directories under %systemroot%. For example, I have a server that's not a WINS server, but wins.exe resides in a $NtUninstallKBxxxxxx$ directory.

And then with DHCP, there's no EXE file associated with the service. It's all .DLLs and .MSC files.

Also haven't figured out if there's an .EXE file that's unique to domain controllers that doesn't exist on a member server.

Anyone reading this thread have suggestions?

Legacy Posted By Username: Colin Dunn
  • I will also need some way to view all DC's. The idea is to create monitor sets and be able to deploy and manage the monitors more easily. Sifting through 30 clients and 800 machines will take way too long.

I had foudn that all .exe's are seen as "Applications" by Kaseya. The best way I have found is using "Store.exe" to find the Exchange servers, however this still pops a few machines that are NOT exchange servers, but may have at some point had it.

Really, the BEST way to find DC's, Exchange, Print, ETC will be via services. Afterall, a server services, and thats what we're trying to monitor. Unfortunately, even in the advanced options of views, there is no option for installed services. Any ideas?

• Hey Guys,

The best way I've found to get around this is to use the scripting section of the view definition.

I set up scripts to check if a service is running. For example, my Exchange script is called isExchangePresent. It tests to see if the ExchangeIS service is running. If it is (True), I write a script log entry saying "Exchange is present". If it is not running (False) I have the script call itself again (make sure it is set to run immediately).

Someone on this board a while ago (can't remember who) pointed out that if a kaseya script calls itself with no delay set, the script will immediately fail on that step.

So now you have a way to have a script fail or succeed based on whether ExchangeIS is running or not. Then in your view definition, you set "Last execution status for isExchangePresent" to Success and you will only see Exchange servers.

I'm sure you guys can sort out the other scripts for DNS/AD/IIS/...

Maybe someone could create all the scripts and export the script folder? I'll see what I can put together.

-Scott

Legacy Posted By Username: ssugar
  • Come to think of it. If someone built the script folder (containing all the different roles/apps possible) and then all those scripts were scheduled within your base template, you could have Views for [Exchange/IIS/...] that all auto-populated whenever a new agent was deployed..... maybe I'll have to build this after the weekend is over.

Legacy Posted By Username: ssugar
  • OK, So I'm just reading this post as I'm trying to do exactly what others have described here. Any other way to do this, rahter than the scripting solution suggested?

I've tried the scripting thing sugested, however even if the script calls itself (as suggested) it still quits with a "Success Else" which defeats the purpose of the hack.

Thoughts? Anyone? Surely someone has done this?

Legacy Posted By Username: rbjsea
  • What you could do, depending on how many machines you are managing, is create a Patch Management group for each role (set all the categories to ALLOW), and apply them to the machines. Then when you are creating the view, you can just select the option "Show all machines with patch policy XXXXX".

Legacy Posted By Username: rchiocchio
  • Good point, I'll look into that. In the mean time, i changed the "else" portion of the script to write a directory, but then left the parameter blank. That made it fail!

Seems like it should be something straightforward to change for Kaseya. What I'd love is a section in the audit you can customize, like assigning roles you can then query in your view. Durring the audit, it can auto-populate some of the obvious ones (workstation, DNS server, perhaps even Exchange) and then you can check additional resources / services as you Need.

Ahh well, Perhaps in Kaseya 7 Smile

• rbjsea
    Good point, I'll look into that. In the mean time, i changed the "else" portion of the script to write a directory, but then left the parameter blank. That made it fail!

Seems like it should be something straightforward to change for Kaseya. What I'd love is a section in the audit you can customize, like assigning roles you can then query in your view. Durring the audit, it can auto-populate some of the obvious ones (workstation, DNS server, perhaps even Exchange) and then you can check additional resources / services as you Need.

Ahh well, Perhaps in Kaseya 7 Smile

For Exchange servers, you could have a script that tests for the existence of the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange

Then, for those that have it, you can base a view.

For DC's, you can do this within Kaseya itself w/o a script. Edit a view and create a new one. Open the "Advanced agent data filter" and put the following in the Domain/Workgroup field: *" (dc)"

Michael

Legacy Posted By Username: RCS-Michael
  • Thanks for the DC tip Michael!

I'll check again on the Exchange, but when I tried various registry keys it always came back with other servers that had Exchange tools on them but wern't Exchange servers. Perhaps I missed something?

Thanks!

rj

• rbjsea
    Thanks for the DC tip Michael!

I'll check again on the Exchange, but when I tried various registry keys it always came back with other servers that had Exchange tools on them but wern't Exchange servers. Perhaps I missed something?

Thanks!

rj

Ah, yes. I'm not able to right now but compare this reg key between a computer with Exchange running and a computer with Exchange management tools and see if there is a difference:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\Setup\

Michael

Legacy Posted By Username: RCS-Michael
  • As an addition to Ssugars bit above (and thanks this was really a great help) you can further separate exchange version 2003 and 2007 with a version string of 7 for 2007.

Thanks.

Legacy Posted By Username: netconfig
  • The scripts thing will work for now. Basically you run these script on all machines that show in a view for ALL Server OS. The scripts run on all servers, either failing or succeeding if they have the service or not.

I'm really hoping Kaseya 6 will include installed services in the audits. Then we could create views based on installed services with their startup type set to Automatic. Then you could easily create views for any network services.

DHCP
    DNS
    Domain services (DC's)
    SQL
    BES
    Exchange

etc. etc. etc

• netconfig
    As an addition to Ssugars bit above (and thanks this was really a great help) you can further separate exchange version 2003 and 2007 with a version string of 7 for 2007.

Thanks.

The version setting works well for items that have only a few versions. We are working on seperating SQL Servers into versions, but with SQL 7, 2000, 2005, 2008, etc the versions filter on the view creation page only has or =, if you say version > 7.00.... you will end up with everything above SQL 7. Has anyone come up with a way to say > 7.00... but

Legacy Posted By Username: MikeG