Kaseya Community

What is your temp folder for Kaseya files?

• We were using C:\Temp, but will C:\Windows\Temp work? Do you use a custom folder or where do you hide your files that are distributed? Just wondering!

Legacy Forum Name: What is your temp folder for Kaseya files?,
    Legacy Posted By Username: danieldausch
  • That is fine, however be aware of the permissions that will be on the Windows directory that will be inherited by the temp sub directory to it. So you may run into issues with certain scripts not working correctly when they run, because they would not have the needed permissions to run from that C:\windows sub directory.

Legacy Forum Name: How-To,
    Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • That's what I was thinking.

Legacy Posted By Username: danieldausch
  • Not sure about the windows folder but do not put the temp folder in the system32 folder or the program files folder. You will run in to problems especially monitor sets and counters.

Also, its a good idea to not put a space in the temp folder otherwise you will always have to remember to use quotes in scripts.

Legacy Posted By Username: GDRBrian
  • we store ours in C:\MSP-TEMP

Becareful when using C:\Temp as there are apps that will delete all the contents...

Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • thirteentwenty
    we store ours in C:\MSP-TEMP

Becareful when using C:\Temp as there are apps that will delete all the contents...

we use C:\ourbrand_temp

Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • lwolf
    we use C:\ourbrand_temp

at one point I was tinkering with the idea of using C:\supercalifragilisticexpialidocious but found that people got curious and would either mess with it or delete it...

I've tried in some test groups "c:\do_not_remove" and "c:\microsoft" both worked OK... I think the best one was "C:\iTunes_Library"...

/funny

• thirteentwenty
    we store ours in C:\MSP-TEMP

We used something similar, but had to take the "-" out. Kaseya FTP (remote tab FTP) uses netsh command and the dash was throwing the command/script out of wack and FTP would not work.

We ended up going with C:\utility\temp

Legacy Posted By Username: JonJohnston
  • JonJohnston
    We used something similar, but had to take the "-" out. Kaseya FTP (remote tab FTP) uses netsh command and the dash was throwing the command/script out of wack and FTP would not work.

We ended up going with C:\utility\temp

Never had a problem with Kaseya FTP (in K2k8sp1) But tbh I didnt use it much, In K2 I've had no problems and use it regularly

• c:\temp unless that machine has a small C volume and it is the patch repository for other machines (so it doesn't fill up). The shared folder that other machines access for patches has to be the temp/agent folder for the system that other machines look to for patches (or at least it did when I set it up initially).

Legacy Posted By Username: jwhitford
  • Desktops are typically C:\KAdmin (unless we are concerned about the space on the C: partition). Servers are usually D:\KAdmin (as we normally configured a very large data partition.

Legacy Posted By Username: DavePurscell
  • We recently changed ours to C:\Windows\KA_Temp and no problems so far.

We used to use C:\Temp and C:\KA_Temp but users tend to mess with it so we opted inside the WIndows directory.

Legacy Posted By Username: JeffD
  • It's been my experience if you put the temp directory inside the windows directory you break monitoring. That's because monitoring relies on the directory having permissions for the NETWORK_SERVICE account. I've written scripts to adjust permissions to do this, but they break in various nasty ways on some service pack versions of Windows 2003 which don't correctly work with the command line options and Take Ownership rights.

So in my experience, the root of the drive is usually safer, although less secure. You can hide the directory easily, which helps a lot in preventing end users seeing and touching it.

Andrew

Legacy Posted By Username: andrew.doull@computer-care.com.au