Kaseya Community

Software Report - Internet Explorer Version

• I'm having a rough time trying to pinpoint which version of Internet Explorer my machines are running.

If I run a software report it returns every version that is on a machine...
    7.0.5730.11, 7.0.5730.13, 7.0.6000.16544, etc.

All my machines are coming up throughout the report.

Quite simply, I'm trying to determine which computers still have not moved to IE7 since I have to run a specific install.

Is there anyway to return only computers that do not have IE7?

Legacy Forum Name: Software Report - Internet Explorer Version,
    Legacy Posted By Username: jvanvoorhees
  • Hi jvanvoorhees,

Try the following:
    Go to the Software Report, enable the "Show version matching" and the "Show description matching" option.

At the "Show version matching" field enter *Internet Explorer*,
    remove the * from the field "Show version matching" and enter NOT 7*.
    Run the report.

Is that what you have been looking for?

Regards,

Vlatko

Legacy Forum Name: How-To,
    Legacy Posted By Username: v.petreski@stepco.nl
  • It would be good for Kaseya to modify the patch management reports so that you can filter for "NOT kb article =". Then it would be a no-brainer.

Are you just going to use this report to decide where you need to install it? Can you just goto patch management and do a Patch Update for the IE 7 KB#?

Legacy Posted By Username: rwitt
  • Forgot about this question but it still comes up NOT IE 7 searches report every single computer since they all have the older IE's on the system (or most do). Installing IE7 as a patch is bad because it requires user input after install and we don't want that since they really can't do much as non-admins. We have an MST file that will install it beautifully. Most of our systems were upgraded so far but we still block IE7 until we can verify. The best I could do is list all computers with 6 and 7 and then paste that into Excel and eyeball it to compare who still needed IE7.

Legacy Posted By Username: jvanvoorhees
  • I have been trying to create this report but have run into some trouble.

Doing Add/Remove programs and putting "*Windows Internet Explorer*" and "*Microsoft Internet Explorer*" works, but I get a really low number with my machines. This would probably mean that not all the machines have had a successful software audit. Is there a way to filter machines that don't have a software list? (filter for machines that haven't run the latestAudit script?)

Legacy Posted By Username: rchiocchio
  • You can do this through the Views in the toolbar. Click the Edit button and look towards the middle of the newly opened window. You can pick what script you want to look for (Latest Audit is available) and then tell it to show you machines that have not run it in X days.

If you need more help, please let us know.

Legacy Posted By Username: CCDave
  • I wanted to run a report on what versions of IE we have out there and have struck a problem that I cannot seem to get around.

Within the Reports section I select Software.
    Choose the report type of All Applications
    Check the box to Show applications matching iexplore.exe
    Check Show version matching *
    And finally chack the box to List machine IDs that contain each application.

This however gives a lot of machine names which are shown multiple times. I guess this means there are more than 1 version of iexplore.exe residing on the machine (not necessarily installed).

Can anyone suggest a better way to find what version of IE is installed on each machine??

I did have a look at the Add/Remove programs report, But this only shows hotfixes that have been added to the system. So, If my machine came with IE6 attached with the OS... It would show nothing, until I installed a Hotfix.

Legacy Posted By Username: garry
  • I think what this needs is to be able to specify the location of the EXE we're pulling the version for. I don't need all of the backup pre-patch copies of 'iexplore.exe', just the one in %PROGRAMFILES%\Internet Explorer...

Legacy Posted By Username: GreyDuck
  • The complicating factor is "Program Files" Vs "Program Files (x86)"
    And, how do we look for the whole pathname?? I tried showing applications matching "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" (quotation marks included) and it returned no results.

Is there a better way to do this?? Or, has anyone had a good reult using the report??

Legacy Posted By Username: garry
  • garry
    The complicating factor is "Program Files" Vs "Program Files (x86)"
    And, how do we look for the whole pathname?? I tried showing applications matching "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" (quotation marks included) and it returned no results.

Is there a better way to do this?? Or, has anyone had a good reult using the report??

I've used the software report (choose add/remove from the pull down)

then for list item

"*internet explorer*" AND NOT "*Update for*" AND NOT "*Hotfix*" AND NOT "*Q*" AND NOT "*toolbar*"

You may want to add more filters depending on your results.

Windows 7 has IE8 pre-packaged.

Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • Hmm. This didn't bring up any results for the Vista-x64 boxes at the client who wanted the IE version report. Neat idea, though...

Legacy Posted By Username: GreyDuck
  • heh... Vista x64 is probably the only OS that we're not covering... Noone out here uses it lol...

What was the default install for it? I'm hoping that it came with IE7, which is most likely why it didn't pop up. Try removing the Hotfix or Update for exclusions and see what comes up.

• Doing 'Internet Explorer' in add/remove programs won't work because a lot of computers don't show IE in Add/Remove programs.

And searching for 'all applications' won't work because you'll also get all the versions in backups, in service pack backups, etc. You'd need to filter by 'destination path' for Program Files but alas, that's the only category of the applications list that you CAN'T filter by. So I don't see a good way to get a report on Internet Explorer version with Kaseya.

Legacy Posted By Username: lukem@thecomputerfactory.com
  • lukem@thecomputerfactory.com
    Doing 'Internet Explorer' in add/remove programs won't work because a lot of computers don't show IE in Add/Remove programs.

It only won't show if IE7 or IE8 wasn't installed (for XP it would mean it's running IE6, and for Win7 it would be running IE8)

• The best solution I found was to use a Machine Summary report displaying nothing but 'Applications', with an App Filter like so:

Application: iexplore.exe
    Description: *
    Version: *
    Manufacturer: *
    Product Name: *
    Directory Path: "*Program Files*"
    File Size: *
    Last Modified: *

This will make sure that only the Internet Explorer that is INSTALLED (to Program Files) shows up. You can also filter by version number if you want, for example:

Version: *6.*

Legacy Posted By Username: lukem@thecomputerfactory.com