Kaseya Community

change the KcsSetup.exe icon and filename

• Hello,
    I am interested in changing the KcsSetup.exe icon and its filename, this is so if an install package is downloaded from https://domainname/dl.asp
    the downloaded file has a custom icon as well as a custom filename.

also when the file is installed, if it is not in silent mode, the top right hand icon (the kaseya K) needs to change as well as the KaUsrTsk and AgentMon files icons inside the installation directory.

how can i go about doing this?

thanks in advance,
    Joshua

Legacy Forum Name: change the KcsSetup.exe icon and filename,
    Legacy Posted By Username: jbbjshlws
  • I'm going to say this first, make sure to backup all of the files before you edit them, I take no responsibility for any loss of files/data.

I used Resource Hacker 3.4 to change/inject the icons for the Agent setup file.

The installer template you want to edit is located in the following path;

..\Kaseya\WebPages\ManagedFiles\VSAHiddenFiles\pcInstall\

The template agent setup file that you want to edit if I recall correctly is this file: VarAgentSetup.exe

Editing the AgentMon.exe, I suspect may be more difficult as I believe it is located inside the VarAgentSetup.exe file and you will need to some how extract and then inject it the files but I have not yet gone that far.

I hope this helps.

Legacy Forum Name: How-To,
    Legacy Posted By Username: HardKn0X
  • System Tab
    ... Customize (under server mgmt)
    ...... Customize the graphical user interface
    scroll way down to see where you can point at your custom icons

more in the help as well as in the kaseya on line doc

z

Legacy Posted By Username: razmataz
  • Hello razmataz,
    those icons only customize the ssytem tray, not the KcsSetup.exe icon and its filename, KaUsrTsk and AgentMon files icons inside the installation directory. thanks for the help though, I will try out your suggestion HardKn0X and let you know how i go

cheers,
    Joshua

• Can you not locate all .ico files, and rename the originals then replace any of the K ones with your custom one, and name yours to the default that the install package uses.

Legacy Posted By Username: edobbs
  • Hello edobbs,
    I did a scan for .ico files originally because i thought logically this would work. It didnt come up with any suspicious looking ones that i could see doing this, so i will have to play around somehwere else...

thanks

• edobbs
    Can you not locate all .ico files, and rename the originals then replace any of the K ones with your custom one, and name yours to the default that the install package uses.

The icon for the installer package was probably compiled into it, likely the only way of doing this is to follow HardKn0Xs suggestion...

If you do not know what you're doing, don't screw with it, you can seriously break things... If you want to chance it, make back-ups, lots of them...

If it seems too much of a task for you to do this, don't do it, customizing someone elses program files (exe or dll) can be easy, it can also be very very tough...

imo I understand the need/want for branding, but there are just some things that you don't want to do.

Edit: P.S. Are we even allowed to do that?

Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • This works great for modifying the windows installer. Does anyone have any idea on how to change it for Mac?

Legacy Posted By Username: jrahmani
  • edobbs
    Can you not locate all .ico files, and rename the originals then replace any of the K ones with your custom one, and name yours to the default that the install package uses.

No the Setup icon is built into the setup executable same with the rest of the executables. You need to edit the executable with a tool like resource hacker to update the executable icons. See my previous post above for more info...

Legacy Posted By Username: HardKn0X