Kaseya Community

How to report on BIOS Date?

• I have been asked by a client to report on the age of PCs throughout the network, the only way I have thought of doing this is by BIOS Date as 90% of users never update this?

Does Kaseya provide any alternative? Does Kaseya report on BIOS Date as I haven't come across it?

Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Legacy Forum Name: How to report on BIOS Date?,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Anthony.Wicks
  • We primarily have Dell systems. K will read the tag # and give us a link to the vendors site so we can see the warranty dates. We have then created two additional fields called warranty start and warranty end dates. We manually update the fields for all client systems. Now we can use it for inventory age purposes.

Legacy Forum Name: How-To,
    Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • We have done the same thing that boudj has mentioned with a little exception..

We have manually created the entry like he says, but we have created four fields.

We have an Expire day entry= expire day entry is entered as 02/25
    We have an Expire year entry= expire year entry is entered as 2009

Then the same thing for the Purchase Date and Purchase year.

You can do all this under....
    Audit Tab
    Then System Info
    Then click a machine ID
    Then click Show More
    Then click New
    etc...

After creating a new field, click and move it over to the displayed side (right hand colum)

Good luck (it is a pain in the @$$ to setup at first, but once configured and information is entered it is there and able to be reported on by doing a Aggrated Report...

Legacy Posted By Username: GrantB
  • Guys,

Many thanks for your responses, will certainly take this into consideration moving forward. However, it doesn't provide me with a solution on current state of events...

We're talking 30-40 clients with between 5 and 200 machines each. Might need to look at alternatives...

Thanks again

Anthony

Legacy Posted By Username: Anthony.Wicks
  • Until Manf "tick" a field in the bios called ship date or warranty start date (and they don't) you have no other way of being able to do this other than manually entering this data. It is a PIA at first (100's of machines), but after you catch up, it doesn't usually take that long to perform this on a new client.

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • We created a script that ran systeminfo at the command line and captured the output to get the install date of the O/S. This has been good enough in most cases to get the age of the machine. Execute Shell Command: systeminfo >>#TEMPDIR#\systeminfo.txt

Legacy Posted By Username: RickAdams
  • Good enough doesn't really count when you have a 2.5 year old machine that gets a virus requiring a reinstall of Windows, effectively setting back your "In Service Date" by 2.5 years.

I think boudj's idea is about the closest to a foolproof suggestion you'll get... but a pain in the butt to get operational

Legacy Posted By Username: Charles.IN
  • Not the complete answer, but it's a start:

Here's a way to read the BIOS date using WMI within a Kaseya script:

Script Name: Bios Date
    Script Description: Displays a machine's BIOS date

IF True
    THEN
    Get Variable
    Parameter 1 : 12
    Parameter 2 : root\cimv2:Win32_BIOS.ReleaseDate
    Parameter 3 : BiosDate
    OS Type : 0
    Send Message
    Parameter 1 : #BiosDate#
    Parameter 2 : 1
    OS Type : 0
    ELSE

Now how could we get this BIOS date into a Kaseya SQL data field for the machine/agent so that we can report on it? I imagine a simple bit of SQL code would do the trick. I assume one can create a new Audit type field and populate that with this BIOS date? Food for thought anyway...

Legacy Posted By Username: ReedMikel
  • anyone get this to work? it fails with:
    FAILED in processing THEN step 1, Get Variable, with error Invalid Parameter, WMI property = root\cimv2:Win32_BIOS.ReleaseDate

does this work on vista?

Legacy Posted By Username: saybrook
  • saybrook
    anyone get this to work? it fails with:
    FAILED in processing THEN step 1, Get Variable, with error Invalid Parameter, WMI property = root\cimv2:Win32_BIOS.ReleaseDate

does this work on vista?

I use a similar script that pulls BIOS information and don't have any issue with the root\cimv2:Win32_BIOS.ReleaseDate... including Vista machines.

Legacy Posted By Username: cnwicsurrett
  • ReedMikel

Now how could we get this BIOS date into a Kaseya SQL data field for the machine/agent so that we can report on it? I imagine a simple bit of SQL code would do the trick. I assume one can create a new Audit type field and populate that with this BIOS date? Food for thought anyway...

Why don't you just write a script log entry and report on that?

Legacy Posted By Username: ssugar
  • Hi

And be aware that the bios date may be months earlier than the ship date of the machine. The BIOS in many cases is not even the latest version avaliable when the machine ships.

hc

Legacy Posted By Username: howardc
  • For those using Dell systems:

(Sorry but the rest of you are out of luck for now) Mad

Dell provides several VB script code examples for using their Open Manage Client Instrumention (OMCI) on their web site. OMCI is only supported on Optiplex, Latitude, and Precision models. Their sample code is great but completely lacking in actual useability. I created something better. It's the BIOS updater. Here's what it does:

1. It checks the model from OMCI.
    2. It checks an ini type file for the a line with that model in it. If found this line tells what's the BIOS version is and what the name of the BIOS header filename to sue for the upgrade process. If the model is not found a message is given to point out that the ini file and BIOS header files need to be added for this particular model.
    3. It then proceeds with the BIOS update via OMCI and the system is rebooted. The reboot happens automatically via the OMCI.

I download and extract all the BIOS header files and setup the ini file. Then I compress it in to one file and download it to my clients sites. It makes keeping BIOS updated much easier. I don't know if I want to give it away or charge a small fee for it. I'm also sure I could do more to make it even better. Anyone interested in using this?

Matt

Legacy Posted By Username: connectex
  • I mentioned at least 2 years ago that Kaseya should provide a method for us to extend the auditing process based on system manufacturer. Then if it's a Dell system we could retrieve Dell specific information and store it in user provider fields in the tables. And likewise for other manufacturers.

Legacy Posted By Username: connectex
  • I only tried my script on XP Prof. Not sure if it works with Vista...

Legacy Posted By Username: ReedMikel