Kaseya Community

Wake on Lan

• Hello All,

I've been using Kaseya for about two months now. I've been asked to look into how to use Kaseya for starting up machines that have been turned off.

I've found a little information here and there about it, but nothing very solid. I've seen someone say "First you need to do a Lan Watch". Is there a document somewhere that describes step by step how to achieve what I'm looking to do? How does one "do a lan watch"? Is it done through Kaseya, or a 3rd party app?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

- Griz

Legacy Forum Name: Wake on Lan,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Matt.Conlon
  • Alright, nevermind. I found Lan Watch...

Legacy Forum Name: How-To,
  • Alright, so looks like this feature has to be enabled in the bios before anything will work, is that correct?

Is this the only way to use Kaseya to turn a computer on remotely?

• Yes it must be turned on in the BIOS, but I found a utility called Dell Client Configuration Utility that lets you change the BIOS settings through Windows. Although it was designed for Dell, I have successfully used it on a few HPs, Compaqs, and even a few Acers. I don't know that it will work on every brand and every model, but I would give it shot. It's alot easier and faster than sending someone onsite.

Legacy Posted By Username: ericpeterson
  • I'm still not having very much like with all of this... I found in the bios of my laptop the "wake up on lan" settings, but I never saw anything regarding Vpro... Is it something you can go download and install? From the way I see it spoken about on these forums, it seems to me like something that people just assume everyone has...

Am I off base here? I feel like I'm spinning my wheels here.

• I think Wikipedia summed it up nicely:

Intel vPro is a platform name that refers set of motherboard technology and features targeted for digital office/enterprise customers.
    VPro requires specific chipsets: Q963/Q965 (Broadwater-Q), Q33/Q35 (Bearlake-Q), or Q43/Q45 (Eaglelake-Q), which support Intel's AMT (Active Management Technology).

Legacy Posted By Username: ed@securemycompany.com
  • ericpeterson
    Yes it must be turned on in the BIOS, but I found a utility called Dell Client Configuration Utility that lets you change the BIOS settings through Windows. Although it was designed for Dell, I have successfully used it on a few HPs, Compaqs, and even a few Acers. I don't know that it will work on every brand and every model, but I would give it shot. It's alot easier and faster than sending someone onsite.

Eric,

Do you have to install the OMCI program on the Non-Dell's as well in order to get the DCCU programs to work?

Thanks!

Legacy Posted By Username: billmccl
  • Griznuq
    I'm still not having very much like with all of this... I found in the bios of my laptop the "wake up on lan" settings, but I never saw anything regarding Vpro... Is it something you can go download and install? From the way I see it spoken about on these forums, it seems to me like something that people just assume everyone has...

Am I off base here? I feel like I'm spinning my wheels here.

To use Wake on Lan (WOL) you need a machine that has WOL enabled in the BIOS and the Good Connection light on the nic must be on when the machine is turned off. From another machine on the network, you send a "magic WOL packet" to the machine that you want to wake up. Googling WOL will show several WOL utilities.

There is not a direct way in Kaseya to send WOL. You can create scripts that you can run from Kaseya to send the WOL packet.

hc

Legacy Posted By Username: howardc
  • I use rw.exe from www.sysworksoft.net. It only requires you to have the MAC address of the machine you need to wake and that the WOL be enabled in the bios. I created a batch file, one line per machine that I need to wake, and run it from a script. You can get a mac address list with an Aggregate Table report.

Legacy Posted By Username: glbaxter
  • I am aware of the BIOS setting that must be enabled and that some vendors have their own utility to enable that via BIOS, but i have also heard that you need to enable it on the NIC. Can someone shed some light on this? Is this case-by-case, depending upon NIC model / vendor?

Legacy Posted By Username: mfrederick@symquest.com
  • nic1.jpg
    That is correct, the NICs I have encountered that have WoL capability do have a driver option to enable/disable the feature (see attached screenshots from 2 different NICs on my system).

• nic2.jpg
    Attachment refers to previous post.

Legacy Forum Name: ,
  • Some older Nic's and MB combinations also had a WOL cable that connected the NIC to the MB, regardless of bios and driver settings - if there is no cable then it will not wake up.

Hopefully all your hardware is newer though and no longer needs it.

As said earlier in this thread, the light on hte back of the card when the computer is off is a great indicator of it most likely working for you.

Legacy Posted By Username: george
  • On older PC's, should the WOL cable be provided with the MB, or do you have to purchase one? If so, are they vendor specific? Where can you get them?
    We have some clients with older PC's. The NIC is WOL capable, but there is no Link Light On when you power off the device.

Legacy Posted By Username: billmccl
  • In my experience the cable came with the NIC.

hc

Legacy Posted By Username: howardc