Kaseya Community

Patch Mgmt on a Terminal Server

• Are there any caveats using the Kaseya patch management feature on a Terminal Server? Does it know to put the machine in Install Mode? Does it matter?

M

Legacy Forum Name: Patch Mgmt on a Terminal Server,
    Legacy Posted By Username: mariaworld
  • It doesn't seem to matter. We use Kaseya to patch a handful of terminal servers without doing anything special (other than due diligence for the patches of course). We haven't hit any snags yet. Terminal servers seem to patch the same as any other 2003 server we have out there.

Legacy Forum Name: How-To,
    Legacy Posted By Username: arobar
  • Install mode is to ensure that user-specific settings are applied properly (i.e., so that they aren't only applied to the user ID that is performing the install). Windows patches don't usually have user-specific settings to manage.

Michael

Legacy Posted By Username: RCS-Michael
  • Awesome. Thanks. I was about to deploy patches to a terminal server and it occurred to me that I should verify first.

Legacy Posted By Username: mariaworld
  • Can anyone offer their best practices for patch management on a terminal server?

Do you schedule recurring updates? or do it manually?
    How do you log users off from the terminal server? How do you make sure they don't login and interfere with updates?
    How often do you update the terminal server?

Here is what I had in mind:
    - Schedule automatic updates to happen either weekly or monthly, such as Sunday night.
    - Notify users that this is the standard time for updates and that they must log off of the terminal server before that time.
    - Schedule the server to reboot prior to the updates to log off users and make sure it's "clean" for updates.

Any suggestions?

Legacy Posted By Username: jeffryer