Kaseya Community

patch management file source

• Hello all,

Once I configure a local file source, when does that file source begin to download necessary patches...?

In other words, I have a client with about 15 machines, and I just configured this. The workstations scan and update every night (which doesnt truely happen every night because we only approve patches twice a month), and the servers do it every monday morning at 3am.

Does the machine that has the source share download the patches when it does it's own update, or does it download patches when the workstations start looking for them...?

Legacy Forum Name: patch management file source,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Matt.Conlon
  • My understand is (and I'm not always correct) that the patches are downloaded when the first agent requests a patch that isn't available at the source. The patch will then be downloaded to the source directory, and will thereafter be available to all other agents.

Legacy Forum Name: How-To,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Lmhansen
  • Kaseya patching works as follows, when a Patch File Source is configured :

1) A patch is scheduled to be installed on Agent #1.
    2) Next, a Get Patch script is scheduled to run on the Patch File Source (Agent #2) to get the patch EXE file from the internet and store it in in the local file directory for the Patch File Source on Agent #2.
    3) Next, a Get Patch script is scheduled to run on Agent #1 to copy the patch EXE file from the patch file source on Agent #2 to the Agent Temp folder on Agent #1.
    4) Next, the patch EXE file is executed on Agent #1.
    5) Afterwards, the designated post-patch action occurs (reboot, popup message, etc) on Agent #1.

Lloyd

Legacy Forum Name: How-To,
    Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf