Kaseya Community

User logoff and logon script?

• Good afternoon all,

I am sure this is possible, I just don't see how and I'm new to scripting with Kaseya.

One of our clients uses Server2003 loaded with their business software which needs a user actually logged in for it to run. Poor software design, IMHO, but then again it's not our program.

We are interested in seeing if there is a way to log that user on in the morning and off in the evening so that the machine isn't logged in during off hours. Shutting down and booting up are not really an option since we run backups nightly.

I'm thinking I should just be able to run this as a sript scheduled in the evening and the morning, unless there is a better way this can be done?

Thanks in advance!

Legacy Forum Name: User logoff and logon script?,
    Legacy Posted By Username: danielm
  • What about using automatic login coupled with a script to lock the workstation?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324737

If you can't have the system locked on the off hours then you'd have to create a script (or scripts) that modfied the autologin reg keys daily and then rebooted just before the workday started. There is no way to script a user login other than through the method mentioned above.

Legacy Forum Name: How-To,
    Legacy Posted By Username: sequoya
  • Don't know about autologin (and frankly would not do it), but you can schedule K to logout users at a particular time (you can also do it in active directory).

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • I worked with a dental practice management app a few years ago which advertised it will run on Server 2003. It would work logged onto the server then starting the app, but was not running as a service. I worked with the support weineees and created a run as a service that worked.
    I am not the expert on this, but you can create run as a service and one will not have to login.
    Google "run as a service".

Legacy Posted By Username: sbuchanan
  • Check this page out.

It works well for unlocking a locked desktop or for automating a login. Useful if you want to use AutoIt scripts that require interaction with the GUI.

http://www.softtreetech.com/24x7/archive/51.htm

For logoff you can use the built in windows function "shutdown.exe -L"

Legacy Posted By Username: ssugar
  • Yep... familiar with the product. However, you'll notice that to have a auto login script, you'll also need the password. And the password will be in clear text visable for anyone to find and use. Not really good security there.

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • danielm
    Good afternoon all,

I am sure this is possible, I just don't see how and I'm new to scripting with Kaseya.

One of our clients uses Server2003 loaded with their business software which needs a user actually logged in for it to run. Poor software design, IMHO, but then again it's not our program.

We are interested in seeing if there is a way to log that user on in the morning and off in the evening so that the machine isn't logged in during off hours. Shutting down and booting up are not really an option since we run backups nightly.

I'm thinking I should just be able to run this as a sript scheduled in the evening and the morning, unless there is a better way this can be done?

Thanks in advance!

I saw this with a database program for a Peachtree product.

We solved this by making the autorun program a service running as the administrator account.

see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/251192

Legacy Posted By Username: nevesis