Kaseya Community

Monitor Windows Server 2008 image backups

• Hello. Looking for a little help.

We recently setup a few new servers running Windows Server 2008 (both SBS and non-SBS). We are using Symantec Backup Exec for backups, and have Event Sets created to monitor the event log for entries that indicated the completion status of scheduled jobs. Which is working fine.

But we are also "playing around" with the built-in backup software with Windows Server 2008. it does imaged-based backups. There is not a lot of documentation. It seems to do a full backup, and then incrementals forever.

For starters, I am trying to simply monitor events for the completion status of the scheduled jobs. It is scheduled to run nigghtly at 9PM. I see events in the System Log and Applicartion Log for "The Block Level Backup Engine Service service entered the running state" and for the Virtual Disk Service and Voume Shadow Copy Service stopping and starting.

If I go into the software, it shows me that the backup started at 9PM and ended at 9:06PM. It reports status=successful. But I don't actually see an events in the Event Log that says Backup Successful, or Backup Failed.

Does anyone know how to monitor for this?

As always, thansk very much in advance.

Lloyd

Legacy Forum Name: Monitor Windows Server 2008 image backups,
    Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • bump.... wondering if anyone has any experience with this, or any ideas?

Thanks.

Lloyd

Legacy Forum Name: How-To,
  • I don't have any direct experience with this, but I wonder if this link might be helpful:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverfiles/thread/1cdb9617-7ea5-4f5a-a89a-e492a118920c/

Good luck!

Legacy Posted By Username: benny@geeksaknockin.com
  • Benny,

Thanks very much. I will read through the details.

Lloyd