Kaseya Community

Monitor MSN Messenger?

• Hi all. I have a client that wants me to monitor the usage of MSN Messenger on one of their workstations - times and duration - (as opposed to just blocking access to the application). Any suggestions on how I can do this? Thanks in advance.

Legacy Forum Name: Monitor MSN Messenger?,
    Legacy Posted By Username: carey-pccare
  • You can create a monitor to let you know whenever the MSN Messenger process has been started and another to let you know whenever it has been closed - this would let you work out the frequency and length of time spent on it.

Hope this helps!

Legacy Forum Name: How-To,
    Legacy Posted By Username: LANWorx
  • Thanks for that, makes sense. Now i just have to upskill on monitors. Cheers

• LANWorx
    You can create a monitor to let you know whenever the MSN Messenger process has been started and another to let you know whenever it has been closed - this would let you work out the frequency and length of time spent on it.

MSN messenger usually launches on startup and remains active until the user either exits it from the system tray or shuts down the computer. Therefore monitoring the MSNMSGR.exe process wont really give you any useful information as the user may very well have been working the entire time that the application was running, yet it was not actually in use.

There is no easy solution for this request, however if you want to play Big Brother....you could enable conversation history within MSN. This way you can see what they were talking about, at what time, and for how long.

Legacy Posted By Username: XeviouS
  • Good point XeviouS, I didn't think about that. Can conversation history be remotely enabled?

I believe this feature needs to be enabled on a passport by passport basis (i.e; If user A logs in and enables conversation history then logs out and user B logs in, they will need to enable this also).

Legacy Posted By Username: LANWorx
  • Hi guys. You can disable MSN from starting at bootup, but yeah, once it has been opened it will remain idling in the background. I don't really want to read their chat history (or send a copy of that to their boss), is there a way to monitor cpu % use of MSNMSGR.exe process? That will tell me when it has been used, because background idle will use less CPU than activity. Maybe i'll just block the application and be done with it. Cheers :-)