Kaseya Community

Automatic Update not initialized on machine.

• We have 100+ machines which, when we look at the "Windows Auto Update" Function List under Patching, show the following:

Automatic Update not initialized on machine.

The help file says that we need to go to the machine and run the 1 time Windows wizard to enable Auto Updates before Kaseya can update the machine.

Is there a way around this (or rather, to automate this?)

We don't want to visit 100+ machines and I'd imagine there is a registry key to 'flip' or a script to run against them machines to enable Auto Updates.

Has anyone conquered this yet?

Thanks in advance,

Legacy Forum Name: Automatic Update not initialized on machine.,
    Legacy Posted By Username: pdxkid
  • I don't have anything to test on, but I use this to enable Auto Updates on some systems:

Script Name: Enable Windows Auto Update
    Script Description: This script will reset the WUA schedule to Automatic (Every Day at 3am).

IF True
    THEN
    Use Credential
    OS Type : 0
    Set Registry Value - (Continue on Fail)
    Parameter 1 : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\ScheduledInstallDate
    Parameter 2 : 0
    Parameter 3 : REG_DWORD
    Set Registry Value - (Continue on Fail)
    Parameter 1 : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\ScheduledInstallTime
    Parameter 2 : 3
    Set Registry Value
    Parameter 1 : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\AUOptions
    Parameter 2 : 4
    Set Registry Value
    Parameter 1 : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU\NoAutoUpdate
    Parameter 2 : 0
    ELSE

Legacy Forum Name: How-To,
    Legacy Posted By Username: sequoya
  • I will give this a try, thank you!

• If that does not work and you still want to enable, you can use a group policy (if they're on an Active Directory domain)

Legacy Posted By Username: jwhitford
  • The script worked for me. I run the script, then either wait for the next patch scan to run or run the patch scan manually.

Shortly after (not sure why the delay) the Auto Updates is set. At this point, I can select the machine and set the Auto Updates to DISABLED (so that Kaseya controls the patching).

thanks for sharing!!

• Oh yea, does anyone know of a way i can create a "View" to show all of the machines that have:

Automatic Update not initialized on machine

I would like to see any machines in that state in 1 View.

Thanks in advance