Kaseya Community

msconfig and services.msc

• Id like to be able to determine the following from within Kaseya, without having to VNC/remote ctrl a user's machine:

a) the services control panel. Id like to see it from kaseya. Id like to know what is enabled/disabled. I can turn things on/off via commandline script, but Id like to get a list, just as kaseya gives a list of processes from the task manager. Does this already exist and I cannot find it?

b) msconfig: Id also like to have some insight into what msconfig has to say. For example, we upgraded an app on client machines. The upgrade didnt remove some legacy service, so the old service launches at startup and causes errors, whereas it should be removed, or disabled. (Having problems removing it, because the uninstaller never saw this service anyway.) Id like to disable the startup service, that I think is still set to start at startup, but without vnc'ing a machine and running msconfig, i cant confirm what the real issue is. Can Kaseya run an msconfig against a machine and return the info to me? If not msconfig, what tool should I be using?

Legacy Forum Name: msconfig and services.msc,
    Legacy Posted By Username: mariaworld
  • I use Autoruns:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

There is a command-line version and a GUI version. This will give you a ton more information than services.msc or msconfig. I suggest reading the help as there are a few different options you might want to play around with.

Hope this helps!
    Chris

Legacy Forum Name: How-To,
    Legacy Posted By Username: benny@geeksaknockin.com
  • mariaworld

b) msconfig: Id also like to have some insight into what msconfig has to say. For example, we upgraded an app on client machines. The upgrade didnt remove some legacy service, so the old service launches at startup and causes errors, whereas it should be removed, or disabled. (Having problems removing it, because the uninstaller never saw this service anyway.) Id like to disable the startup service, that I think is still set to start at startup, but without vnc'ing a machine and running msconfig, i cant confirm what the real issue is. Can Kaseya run an msconfig against a machine and return the info to me? If not msconfig, what tool should I be using?

You should be able to delete the service by running

sc delete ServiceName

Michael

Legacy Forum Name: How-To,
    Legacy Posted By Username: RCS-Michael