Kaseya Community

Vista and Video Streaming

• I apologize if this seems like a repeat thread. But I have found a lot of complaints about the video streaming not working with Windows Vista but haven't found any fixes for this issue as of yet. The company I work for is using Kaseya 5.0.0.0 and we can video stream into a Windows XP machine without any problems, but when we try and video stream into a Vista machine the customer is prompted to install the activex control and receives a message that states the video streaming session is successful but we never receive the VNC window on our side. As of right now if the customer is not under a maintenance agreement with us we have to have them download the default client to there workstation and then wait for the system to check in before we can remote into it. This rather time consuming and a hassle for all parties involved. If there has already been a solution for this issue posted could someone please post the link for me. If not does anyone have any ideas on when Kaseya will be fixing this issue.

Legacy Forum Name: Vista and Video Streaming,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Ian
  • On the customer side of the video streaming, they have to run internet explorer as an administrator (It says this on the /gethelp.asp page) the user may not have read this note at the bottom of the page.
    I think it would be nice if there was a note for this on the administrative side as well, so that we can suggest that the client tries this method?
    I personally do not have any vista machines to manage to i cannot try this out, please post back here if this works for you.

Legacy Forum Name: How-To,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Steven_Conbrio
  • I have actually tried that already as we have a couple of systems in our office that are running Windows Vista. Unfortunately that still won't allow us to utilize the video streaming tool. I will, however, try one more time to verify that this still doesn't work.

• Steven,
    After reading your reply I did try and video stream into one of our Vista workstations and what I found that finally worked is changing the VNC version that the video streaming wants to use from WinVNC to K-VNC and yes the user does have to launch Internet Explorer as Administrator. Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

• Ah yes, sorry, i completely forgot about that. They had mentioned this on the bootcamp i attended. I can't remember which other OS required the K-VNC package, but to me it seems logical to use K-VNC or Terminal services for everything.

Happy to see you got it working Smile

• Yes I am actually seeing that as being the case as well. Are there any other advantages of using the K-VNC instead of WinVNC???

• Not too sure sorry, however a brief google search suggests that K-VNC was originally intended for linux.

• The KVNC included with Kaseya is a modified version of WinVNC developed by Kaseya. It's purpose was to enable remote control to Vista machines originally in the 4.8 release. In the Kaseya 2008/5.0 release, KVNC was expanded to allow use on other platforms. I would expect WinVNC to disappear for the next release and to be replaced by KVNC to simplify things for the developers.

Legacy Posted By Username: arobar
  • not sure we can ditch winVNC just yet.

I don't recall ever being able to KVNC onto a windows 2000 server or windows 2000 PC.

Legacy Posted By Username: GrantB