Kaseya Community

Backup Exec Alerts

• I have created the backup alert using the backup exec list.

When I go into setup the alerts are there but I cannot select any machine to monitor.

Am I missing something?

Legacy Forum Name: Backup Exec Alerts,
    Legacy Posted By Username: jm-ctaccess
  • Hi Jeff - Can you be a bit more specific in what you are trying to accomplish? It sounds like you've created an Event Set, and you wish to apply this to a particular agent. If that's the case, do the following:

1. Click the Monitor tab.
    2. Click on Alerts.
    3. In the "Select Alert Function" drop down, select "Event Logs".
    4. In the new secondary drop down that should have appeared, select the event log where the entries you're looking for are logged to (likely "Application").
    5. Under "Define events to match or ignore", select the event set that you have created.
    6. Select which types of events you wish to be notified on (error, warning, critical, etc.).
    7. Select the thresholding options for being alerts (once, X times within X days, etc.).
    8. Set you alert options.
    9. Apply the settings to the machine you want to setup alerts for.

Legacy Forum Name: How-To,
    Legacy Posted By Username: arobar
  • That was exactly what I was looking for...

It says Red Letters indicate Logging Disabled?

How would I enable it?

• Under the Agent tab click on Event Log Settings. Select the log files you wish to monitor and click the Add button. Check the boxes for the categories you wish to monitor. Select the agents you wish to apply that to and click on the Update button.

• The Backup Exec All events are not listed.....

Did I not enter them correctly?

• They won't be listed in the section where you control which logs to look at. They don't log to their own event log, they will log to either the Application log or the System log. You will need to enable logging for these logs.

Think of the situation like this... BackupExec writes to the Application log. As such, your agent needs to be reporting events in the Application log to your VSA. Now there are going to be hundreds of applications on any given server that are writing to the Application log, so you need to write a filter set to discard the ones you don't care about, and view the ones you think are important - This is your BackupExec Event Log Set.

• I am not sure I am following what you are saying...

I click on the Monitor tab, then alerts on the left menu.

I then get Select the Alert Function Drop down menu... I select BACKUP Alert.

There are no Machines that show up.

When I am at the summary screen it lists all of the Functions available and says that Backup Alerts are Disabled. I cannot seem to find where to enable them.

Any help would be appreciated.

• By the sounds of things you are looking at the built in backup alerts - these are for Kaseyas own BUDR module - NOT for Backup Exec.

Legacy Posted By Username: LANWorx
  • LANWorx is correct, Kaseya won't use the "Backup Alerts" function for any software other than Kaseya's own BUDR implementation. You need to use even log monitoring to alert on failed/successful backups with any other backup software.

• Ok, I think I got the setup done. However, I thought I had it set up to alert me on every event ID for Backup exec but I am not getting any alerts after the first one.

• Just to Clarify again:

I click on the Monitor Tab at the top of the screen, From there I click alerts. I change the Alert Function to "Event Logs" The Down in the "events to match or ignore" I select Backup Exec All - I select Success and Failure Audit. I select the machine that is running backup exec and I select Alert when this event occurs once.
    I have the Alert set to When this event occurs 1 time within 1 day.

It ran once - I got one alert and then nothing since!

• The client is on Version 9 of Backup Exec - Does this matter?

• To get the events you are looking for (all Backup Exec events), you need to check of the following:
    Information
    Warning
    Error

You do not need "Success audit" or "Failure Audit". Those are only for Security events, not application events.

It should look something like this:

Application A--E email@yourdomain.com
    EWI---- Backup Exec Events

This will create an alarm for every Backup Exec event defined in the given event set, as well as send an e-mail to the listed address.

Legacy Posted By Username: Lmhansen
  • My Set looks like your display so hopefully it will work now!

Thanks,

• I also think that your "Backup Exec All" set may have all the event ID's lumped into one monitor set, so it is not differentiating between successful and failed jobs. This may be something to check!

This is a fairly common question on the forums, I'm considering making a detailed 'How To' post on how to set this up - including reports based on backup performance.

Would anyone find this useful?

Cheers,

Legacy Posted By Username: LANWorx